What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Large washers used with Rod End Bearings?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm noticing that in most installations of rod end bearings, there is a surprisingly large (OD) washer placed right alongside the bearing. Often the washer is about as large as the outer diameter of the bearing itself. Why? As I begin to make my own installs of cable ends etc, I'm wondering If I need to include such a washer? What is the size guidance here?

Why, and how big?

In case the rod end fails-----the washer is large enough to keep the center ball from coming totally out of the housing.

I'm noticing that in most installations of rod end bearings, there is a surprisingly large (OD) washer placed right alongside the bearing. Often the washer is about as large as the outer diameter of the bearing itself. Why? As I begin to make my own installs of cable ends etc, I'm wondering If I need to include such a washer? What is the size guidance here?

Why, and how big?

It is to prevent the rod end bearing from separating from the control end if something to were come undone in the bearing itself. It's a belt and suspenders safety catch.

There is a smaller thinner washer that accomplishes the same thing, Van's used to supply them for such things as throttle/mixture/prop hardware.
Don't have a PN offhand.

There is a smaller thinner washer that accomplishes the same thing, Van's used to supply them for such things as throttle/mixture/prop hardware.
Don't have a PN offhand.

5702-475-48-Z3 washer, or one properly sized for the bolt as this example is for the throttle rod end bearing connection. See detail B in the lower left.

OP-22_IO-360 Mix-Throttle.jpg

Why, and how big?

Think about why it is there. What would happen if the bearing fails and the large washer is not there.

Uncommon Sense

Okay. Makes perfect sense, when seen from the correct perspective. Thanks again, oh Masters of the Aluminum universe.

Back