What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Lights

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just got my QB wings. There’s a hole in the leading edge for a landing light that’s not included in the kit. I put an LED position/taxi/landing light in the tip. I’m inclined to cover the hole in the leading edge with AL, or to just paint the lens? What have others done?

Last edited:
Check out FLYLED's. They make a few different versions of landing lights and tip light packages that are phenomenal. They are all built around the RV line.

Yes, i know. Thats what i have. Question is:
What to do about the unused void in the keading edge where Vans has the landing light window. Cover with plastic lens and paint it is what I’m thinking.

I’d say put another landing light in there! I recently got a pair of the FlyLED light that has the 3 landing and one taxi light, and I got the wigwag module. Can’t wait to try it in flight. You can never have too much lights. I plan to leave them on from when I take the runway until after I land, Day or night.

On my -8 that I’m building, I wanted to fit their “7Stars” lights, one in each wing and also in the wingtips.. have you ever seen a Pilatus PC12 on final? Looks like a UFO coming in, and you can see them 10 miles out during the day! That’s the look I’m going for!

Last edited:
I plan to use the FLYleds wingtip nav/strobe/landing light combination, so when I ordered my -14 wing kit (over a year ago), I requested the holes in the wings be left out. I later learned there was a $200 per wing up-charge to not cut the holes! I still have not received the wing kit. If I were doing it again, I would take the standard wing skins and install another set of landing lights. It would have been cheaper (and brighter)!

Is the wing skin from the 10 the same size as the 14 skin with the cutout? I’m still surprised the 10 kit hasn’t been updated to add that hole as standard.

I'd install a lens kit, unpainted. That gives you (or the next guy) options if the wingtip lights are inadequate/unsupportable, or if you just want something different/better.

FlyLED's says some folks put "The Works" and "Seven Star" in, I guess so you light up the runway like a 747.

Cut out

If you don't want another light, shape a filler piece,. Slip it inside. Trace the hole. Shape another thin piece. Slip it in and match drill the rivet holes. Rivet the filler to the thin piece. It should lay flush to the outside. Probably worth 2 kts!
Or just put the clear lens in place and call it good. :D

Back