What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Lights & Leading Edge Riveting

24Golf

Well Known Member
Question from a newbie... Do I need to wait until I have my landing lights in hand to rivet the leading edge skins to the ribs? I "assume" that I could rivet the LE assembly together just not rivet it to the main spar and then do the landing lights sometime in the future... Pointers??

Thanks,

You can install the lights anytime

Paul,
If you install the lights in the "normal" place which is the last outboard bay you can easily do it with leading edge rivited to the spar.

I think it would even be easier this way as it wouldn't want to move around too much while you are cutting the hole in the leading edge.

Most drills will fit through the large lightening hole. Mine did.

I just finished installing mine last week doing it with the wing on a table and was an easy task. Not quick, but easy.

Mark

I did it before riveting any part of the leading edge together and it worked great. My thought was, at that time, if I messed up the cut, I'd only be out the cost of a leading edge skin. As it turns out, cutting the hole was no big deal, and working from the cutout and outboard rib really would not be a big deal either, as Mark mentions above.

Good luck.

It is a little easier to do it after you have riveted on the ribs but before you rivet the assembly to the spar, IMHO. The ribs hold the LE in shape while you do the cutout, and you will need the ribs in place to properly size and mount the lamp bracket assembly. For me, I made the rough cutout with a saber saw and used a sanding drum on my handheld drill to smooth out the corners.

Personally, I'd wait to cut the hole. HID technology is picking up pretty fast and there will probably be some improvements in lighting systems before you complete your aircraft.

Right now, I'm looking at some $150 HID lights that seem to be the cat's meow. They would only require a cutout 1/2 the size of the cutout used on most of today's lights.

Kyle do share,

I was thinking LED but HID for $150...

Thanks,
KC

Here's what I'm working with:

http://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

I currently have one of the 36 degree dispersion units. I will also be installing one of the 12 degree dispersion lights.

The light with the 36 degree dispersion is an outstanding taxi light, but as a landing light, it is only slightly better than the 50W Duckworks landing light I used to have.The 12 degree light *should* be an excellent landing light with the ability to throw a beam a long way down the runway.

In the end, I will have one 36 degree and one 12 degree light side by side in my single Duckworks housing. This will be a tight fit, but will not require any modifications to the leading edge cut-out.

Here's what I can tell you about these lights:

- They are self contained. All you need to do is create a mounting solution, hook 'em up and they are ready to go.

- I have experienced none of the radio noise which is sometimes associated with HID ballasts. This may be because the lights are sealed in a metal housing.

- Despite the manufacturer's indications that these lights need airflow around them (or they may shut off), I have not noticed any heating issues despite having mine sealed inside the wing.

By the way, the link is to the manufacturer's website. A google search will turn up better prices on these lights. Also, there are some other interesting lights on the trailtech website, but I think the SCMR16 series fits my application best.

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys... This is what I wanted to hear. I am very interested in the new lighting technology and would like to wait a while before purchasing the lights. This will allow me to continue working on the leading edge without worry!

landing/taxi lights

Hi 24Golf.

I am using the duckworks light system in my wings. The directions call for drilling the holes and mounting the platenuts to the ribs prior to assembly because it is so much easier to work with the ribs before they're attached to the skins. The holes I cut in the LE were done after they LE assemblies were riveted to gether but only clecoed to the wings. I can't see where it would make any difference, riveted or clecoed.

Back