What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light used as taxi

Electrogunner

Well Known Member
I have a set of aero led Sunray plus, 1 in each wingtip. I was thinking about using a three position switch up landing, middle off, down taxi and running the taxi circuit through a preset dimming module to the sunray plus lights to dim them a bit so as to not blind any one on taxi way. Just need for recognition. Any thoughts on this? Seems to be a good solution so we don't have 2 sets of lights, cost and maintenance. I will be using the vertical power ECB, so should need some diodes or could run though relay so as to not back feed the landing light or taxi circuit.

A while ago I looked around at the differences between taxi and landing lights and found that the dedicated taxi lights had a wider beam angle. I eventually decided that a wider beam angle would suit my needs better generally and used that as a criteria for the RV-3B I'm building. I have both on my C-180 and use the taxi light as a daytime running light, taking advantage of its wider beam for better collision avoidance.

Its switch is a single combined pull-out switch, but I like it and would keep the logic on the RV-3B if I had separate taxi and landing lights, which I don't: Down would be off, middle taxi, and up would be landing.

I've never felt the need to have a dimmer in the system.

Dave

I also have an AEROLEDs Sunray Plus in each wingtip powered through a VP-X Pro. I angled the right one down and in a little and use that as my sole taxi light when passing someone on the ground. The different aim points work great for landing with lots of night flying in 300+ hours.

I also have an AEROLEDs Sunray Plus in each wingtip powered through a VP-X Pro. I angled the right one down and in a little and use that as my sole taxi light when passing someone on the ground. The different aim points work great for landing with lots of night flying in 300+ hours.

Do you just use both as taxi or do you have separate switch for the right one?

A while ago I looked around at the differences between taxi and landing lights and found that the dedicated taxi lights had a wider beam angle.

Another difference, at least on some aircraft is the mounting angle for otherwise identical lights. From a level attitude the landing lights are mounted angling down, while taxi lights are mounted level. (Note: this is in tri-cycle aircraft.)

Last edited:
Back