What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light(s)

danboy

Has anyone installed the cowel landing light from Aerosport? Just wondering how it compares to the leading edge lights from Duckworks

No, but I have flown in Geoff's RV-10. You question is similar to asking which is better, apples or oranges.

Wing tips lights don't light the middle of the runway. Leading edge lights do a better job, but there still is a void in the middle. I have Duckworks HIDs in the leading edge. Unfortunately, I can't install the cowl light due to a modification of my cowl for ram air.

The cowl light is significantly better than the old GE incandescents that we are used to in spam cans. Geoff shared with me the other day that he has some new LEDs that are even brighter.

If I were doing things over again and didn't have to worry about the ram air mod, I would put in the cowl light and some LEDs in the wing tips to help illuminate the runway edge and for wig wag.

If you haven't talk to Geoff recently, ask about the new LEDs. They aren't on the web site yet.

Bob, whats your thought on the RAM air for flying below 10K feet. Is it worth the time and effort for lower altitude flying.

Back