What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

landing light power question

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all,

Before I close up the wings, I want to check the landing light and strobe lights. I've purchased the appropriate male/female floating connectors and am planning on making a small dummy wiring harness and power up the wings to test the lights and stall switch.

Is there any reason I should not do this? Can I apply 12v from a battery charger directly to the landing lights & strobe lights? What is the difference between the pulse power lead and the power lead? (e.g., do they both get 12 v to activate the pulse feature, or do I just energize the pulse power lead?)

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

The output of many battery chargers has a large AC component. I would use a battery or power supply for testing anything that has electronic parts.
Joe Gores

testing lights

As Joe says, batt chargers & various power supplies may have A/C component on top of the DC. I used a 14volt drill battery to check my lights, but be careful of polarity! Cheers, DEAN..

9 volt transistor radio batteries work

I did not have a 12 volt battery handy at the time so I decided to try using two fresh 9 volt transistor radio batteries wired in parallel to make the check. Much to my surprise, it worked great. I only kept the batteries connected long enough to see if all the elements lighted and pulsed correctly. There was no muss, no fuss, ? it worked just fine.
DSC03895.JPG

You supply 12V either to the pulse or to the power lead. The same goes for the strobes. Both lights are not very picky about the voltage and work fine even with a not so smooth voltage. Good enough for testing, I'd say.

Back