What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light location verses taxi

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Any preference on which wing the landing light goes into ? One per wing, taxi will go into the other.

Although I went through the same process, I rarely if ever have just the taxi light on. Both are on or both are off - I just don't really have much of an occasion for a "taxi light only" situation.

I use low beam left light for taxi, both high beams for landing.
My reasoning is that low beam directs the beam down and to the right.

Last edited:
Is this more of an issue for non 'A' models, especially with taxi lights ?

Yes.

A light aimed for use as a landing light wont light up much of the taxiway on a tail dragger. One can be aimed as a taxi light and the other as a landing light (then it also keeps the runway lit up during the round-out and flare during landing).

It also is bad manners to taxi around pointing at other aircraft at night with a landing light aimed directly into their cockpits. This is a good reason to have them aimed differently.

On a tri gear it is not quite as important, but something like a 6A that sits rather nose high it is still a good idea. I have the lights on my 6A set up this way.

I get asked this question a lot. And it really only matters on the side by side models where the taxi light makes more sense on your flying side. The Whelen taxi light models have a very wide beam that lights up everything in front of you while taxiing.

Back