What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light Fuse blowing

AllThumbs

Well Known Member
Friend
This RV-12 has no landing lights installed. I am helping to install strobes so we were verifying which wing connectors are energized by the strobe and landing panel switches.

Solid-ON landing light (no pulse) works fine and applies 12v+ to the correct wing connection. But when we switch to pulse-landing it blows the 7.5 amp fuse. The fact that solid-on works means there's no issue with a wire short between the wing and the switch panel. Could there be something fishy in the control panel internals?

Is there a known issue I've missed? I do have the SB on reversed pins for nav/strobe but that does not seem to be relevant for this problem.

Should I report this problem to Vans? This is an early RV-12 build ( kit#2).

Thanks as always!

The pulse mode provides 12V to a different wing connector if I remember this correctly. I would check if this connector has a short to ground by measuring the resistance between that contact and ground with the fuse removed.
I haven't heard of a known issue with the wiring of the light circuits.

There were several changes to that wiring since the first ones. I am now so confused on mine I expect some blown fuses as well.

I'll pull down the wiring schematic and suss out the pulse problem. Thanks for the feedback!

Back