What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear sockets

jgnunn

Can anyone tell me if the sockets have a sleeve tube in each end, or is the socket/tube the same wall thickness the whole length of the tube?

Straight tube

On the A model, the tubes which hold the gear legs are a straight tube, no inserts.

Not sure if they use sleeves

but gear leg weldments were the proper size to fit the gear leg at the top and the bottom, but NOT in the center section. They either turned the tube to larger inside diameter in the center to provide the relief, or they welded in insert tubes at the top and the bottom.

Seems to me if they didn't do something to make the socked ID larger in the center area, the gear leg would be a real bear to get inserted fully...

It's the gear legs...

The gear legs are a full diameter snug fit at the top and bottom of the tubes, about an inch long. In between those lands, they are machined down. The tube is a constant diameter.

Just was looking at mine....

....they have a sleeve welded in on each end and the lower end has a step machined into it.

Mine are sleeved

Gents,
We all could be correct if we are discussing gear weldments of different ages (revision levels). Mine is 2007 vintage and is sleeved. Earlier ones could have been constant bore. Glad I got the sleeved one. By definition, it goes together easier.

I do not have my gear leg weldments yet but after doing about a 100 years of welding I would say the way they are put together the welding process could change the fit some because of the way it would heat them. I will know more after I get mine.

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know why the sleeving is done besides lightness? I am wondering if there is an engineering reason....e.g.the extra I.D. in the middle of the tube may provide room for flexing of the leg within the tube under loads...

RZbill: are your sleeves rosette welded?

Last edited:
Back