What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear Mount and Brake Line

Fedico94

Plans not clear. Hole in fuselage and hole in WD-921 for brake line do not line up. Does the AN837 45 degree elbow attach to the fuselage skin or to the Landing gear mount (WD921) ? Looks like it would be easier to install if elbow fits to WD-921. Also the AN818 nut cannot fit between the skin and the gear mount braket. QB9A:confused:

The brake line bulkhead fitting goes through the gear mount.
Gear%20Mount%20Brake%20Line.JPG

Fedico,

I had the same problem with the hole in the WD921 not lining up with the hole in the skin. I attached the AN837 elbow to the WD921 landing gear mount and enlarged the hole in the skin so the elbow and nut would fit through the skin. I think the enlarged hole will be hidden by the gear leg intersection fairings.

Last edited:
AN Fitting

Plans not clear. Hole in fuselage and hole in WD-921 for brake line do not line up. Does the AN837 45 degree elbow attach to the fuselage skin or to the Landing gear mount (WD921) ? Looks like it would be easier to install if elbow fits to WD-921. Also the AN818 nut cannot fit between the skin and the gear mount braket. QB9A:confused:
Same problem that I had. Enlarge the bottom skin hole enough to put the AN fitting trough the leg weldment and be able to tighten the AN bulkhead nut. Remember, it's an aluminum nut-don't torque it like a steel fitting. If worried about the excessively large hole in bottom skin remember that the gear leg fairings will cover some if not all of it. If not using fairings, you could fill hole with proseal or like.
Mike H 9A/8A

SS braided brake lines

The brake line bulkhead fitting goes through the gear mount.
Gear%20Mount%20Brake%20Line.JPG
Craig,
Like those SS braided brake lines. Get those from Banco? Do they go all the way up to the Reservoir or just to the central tunnel? See that you did your fuel lines the same way-Saaweet! Wish that I had been that smart. LOL! I wrestled with hard lines for every bit of a week. Supid me, and I have a 25ft roll of the stuff in a box-unused.
Mike H 9A/8A

I did the same thing mostly except no enlargement of the skin hole. I made a spacer (an over thick aluminum washer) that fits between the skin and the gear mount. Allows me to tighten the nut down on the gear mount without distorting the skin. I'm trying to keep the through holes in the skin to a bare minimum.

examplevent.jpg

Sorry the photo doesn't show it but it's in there.

Craig,
Like those SS braided brake lines. Get those from Bonaco? Do they go all the way up to the Reservoir or just to the central tunnel? See that you did your fuel lines the same way-Saaweet! Wish that I had been that smart. LOL! I wrestled with hard lines for every bit of a week. Supid me, and I have a 25ft roll of the stuff in a box-unused.
Mike H 9A/8A

Yep, they're from Bonaco, and they do go all the way! :D

I used the same way of the others. Plans seem to indicate AN fitting torques on skin. Actually, I think that when you land, landing mount may move a little in respect of the bottom skin. So, I think it would be better to link fitting to mount and not to skin. That's the way I did...

I considered the possibility of the skin moving in relation to the gear mount also and came to the conclusion that it better not be able to move even a little. However if there is a worry of movement a person could substitute some hard rubber for the aluminum used to make the spacer. Or not, drilling a hole through the fuse and goo'n it up with tank sealant or RTV works good also.

Last edited:
Back