What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Gear Install

bnovak1220

Patron
Hi All,

This will be my first post. I started the RV10 Last March...but have been reading these forums for a couple of years now while deciding on building...like most of you :). I have currently finished attaching the quick build fuselage to the tail cone. At this point I was wondering if I could skip ahead and install the landing gear / engine mount so that the plane will be - better supported and at its actual height. Can anyone tell me if some other steps need to be taken before this happens (Ex: firewall forward installations before the engine mount goes on/ or internal fuselage installs) or reasons not to do it. Thanks ahead for any advice.

Also does anyone know of other RV 10 Owners / Builders near Lynchburg, VA. ?

Thanks!

-Berkley

P.S. - Being new to the forum I expect a hello from a guy named Mike. :)))

I'm just installing my landing gear right now. I did a slow build and thought it to be very convenient having the whole thing low to the ground while doing the cabin top and doors. I can't think of any reason not to do what you suggest but I also can't think of a good reason TO do it either.

.... I'd probably recommend waiting. In addition to making the top and doors slightly easier, you'll have to get in and out of the fuse a thousand times for various things and having it lower to the ground will make that easier.

I'm in Warrenton, VA. Not exactly close to Lynchburg. But not too far, either.

I'm just installing my landing gear right now. I did a slow build and thought it to be very convenient having the whole thing low to the ground while doing the cabin top and doors. I can't think of any reason not to do what you suggest but I also can't think of a good reason TO do it either.

.... I'd probably recommend waiting. In addition to making the top and doors slightly easier, you'll have to get in and out of the fuse a thousand times for various things and having it lower to the ground will make that easier.

I'm in Warrenton, VA. Not exactly close to Lynchburg. But not too far, either.

+1
if you put it on the gear at this stage I'd seriously look at building steps or scaffolding around it. It's pretty high when on the gear.

Berk, welcome to the adventure. I agree that when fitting canopy and doors, you want it lower to the ground. The canopy gets put on and taken off about a thousand times, can't really picture doing this with a step ladder! The construction sequence laid out in the plans works well. You will want to build a dolly on wheels, as low to the ground as possible.

DSCN4460.jpg

Looking at these old photos makes me miss the construction phase.......enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks guys that is exactly what I was wondering....if the landing gear made the plane to high to comfortably work on. I have already lowered it once when I started working on the baggage doors after getting tail cone on.

I like the dolly Andy! My dolly consist of an armless office chairs on each side of the fuse that have those hydrolic levers - lowered all they way down. My quick fix when I wanted it lower and to be able to roll.

Joe love to check out your project sometime!

Thanks Zac, I hope to see your company at this upcoming sun-n-fun!

-Berkley

Berkley,

Sounds good! Feel free to contact me between now and then. We wont have a booth at Sun-N-Fun but we will be around. Again, drop me a line and we can swap contact info.

Thanks

Zac

I'm fairly close

Berkley,

I have, in addition to a 20 year old flying 6A, a half-finished (90% to go) RV-10 kit that I will be starting on very soon as the third owner. It's basically at the fast-build stage now. You are welcome to come take a look, now or anytime down the road (once the runway dries out).

Bill Boyd
farm airstrip 12VA (Hop-Along)
Clifton Forge, VA

Back