What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear fairing question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I have cut out the paper template and the directions say to align certain lines with the "scribe mark" and another with the "leading edge centerline mark".
My fairings do not have any scribes or marks. Where do I line up the paper template if I do not have these marks?
Thanks in advance!

I don't know, but

Are you talking about strut fairings? I like many people bought fiberglass fairings for the struts from other sources and ignored most of the Van's information relating to the aluminum version. Just one additional comment - alignment of these is important for minimum drag reasons. Hopefully, someone with the same instruction set can answer your question properly. If not, I would just keep trying to figure it out until Monday and call Van's for technical support.

Bob Axsom

Charles...just assume that the fiberglass parts do not have the desired scribe lines.
1. Either cut out the correct fairing from Vans construction sheet, OR, trace on another sheet of paper the exact fairing that you want from Vans original drawing and then cut out this copy leaving the original drawing intact.

2. Fold the cut-out copy over the gear leg fairing, sliding the paper template up / down the fiberglass until the trailing edge of the paper aligns with the trailing edge of the fiberglass part.

3. When you find the correct position for the trailing edge alignment, tape the paper in position, mark the center lines, top/bottom cutoffs, and the clamp tab area.

That should do it.

Scribe Marks

I could not find them either. Gus said to line the template 1/4" from the top of the fairing.

Back