What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing a Norwegian RV-7 on a frozen lake in -28*C (-18*F)

ao.frog

Well Known Member
On Thursday this week, the runway on the lake "Vermundsjøen" finally opened and the wifey and me flew up there to test the newly plowed runway and to have dinner at the nearby cafe.

The runway opening was late this season because of the unusually high winter-temps, but during the last couple of weeks, the temps has dropped and the ice has frozen to the required thickness.

Here's a few pics:

Here's the RV-captain flying enroute:

Here's the runway and the surroundings:

And here we are on right base.
The RWY is 1000 x 30 metres so that's plenty for a RV.

Finally parked and since the temps where so low, we put in cowling plugs and a couple of blankets before we went to dinner:

The cafe is only a 5 minute walk from the lake:

When the sun approached the horizon, it was time to head home again.
"Wilco" sure looks lonely out there, and that's because we where the only airplane landing there that day.
BTW; we where also the FIRST plane landing there this winter, and that was kind of special.

When we landed on the lake, the temp was -25*C (-13*F) and we took off a couple of hours later, the temp had dropped to -28*C (-18*F) so it was cold to use bare hands to fasten the seatbelts... :cool:

After takeoff, leveling off at 4000' MSL for the 45 min cruise back to our homefield, the OAT increased to -16*C (+3*F) so it was a typical winterday with a rather big inversion.

If any of you want to see where the lake is on Google Earth; here's the position:
N 60.42.4 E 012.22.5

A nice way to spend a Saturday I'd say...

Last edited:
tips for landing on ice/snow?

I've never landed a tailwheel airplane on ice or snow, and would be very reluctant to do so, unless I got some dual or some coaching. What is it like? What is the secret to not slip-sliding around?

Actually, I've never landed a tricycle airplane on ice/snow either, but I don't think I would be so reluctant to try it.:rolleyes:

I've never landed a tailwheel airplane on ice or snow, and would be very reluctant to do so, unless I got some dual or some coaching. What is it like? What is the secret to not slip-sliding around?

I'd guess that wet grass is more slippery than that snow/ice. Wet slushy snow/ice...now that's slick. But snow/ice that cold, probably similar to or better than wet pavement.

Just my guess.

-Jim

Actually, I've never landed a tricycle airplane on ice/snow either, but I don't think I would be so reluctant to try it.:rolleyes:

Snow and ice, what an alien thought for a Californian!

The truth is snow and ice is no big deal...actually in some repects its easier to land on in a stiff crosswind.

Braking action is the key...

Here's what I have found useful for landing on ice and snow, and it's the same thing with a TW as a NW:

1) The RWY must be long enough, considering the actual braking action (B/A). Normally I use 500 meters as minimum for the RV.

2) The runway surface must be hard. In other words it must be plowed.
I don't land places where there's "un-plowed snow" (probably wrong english word) on the RWY.

3) The crosswind and B/A must be within reasonable limits.
I use 10 kts as my max X-wind, and medium B/A as my minimum B/A.

4) If the temp is lower than approx -5*C, and there's hardpacked snow on the surface, the B/A is normally medium or better.
The lower temp, the better B/A. I avoid landing places where the temp is above -5*C (approx +23*F). That way I avoid slush and/or water.

5) If there's ONLY ice on the RWY surface, I normally avoid landing there.

6) I stay off the brakes if i can, thus they don't heat up and then they don't freeze up.

7) Normally is a good idea to operate on ice and snow without wheelpants.

8) Regarding technique: it's nothing to it as long as it's hardpacked snow and temp below -5*C and calm winds. It feels about as grass.
In fact; I prefer grass or snow with a TW instead of hard paved surface RWY.

9) The most important thing: CALL the local people plowing the RWY before you go to get current info about the RWY.

Here's a few pics of the same area during the annual Fly Inn a few years ago:

Last edited:
That is NEAT. Something we don't get to do in the southeastern USA. It was +22 C here in north Georgia yesterday. :cool:

That is NEAT. Something we don't get to do in the southeastern USA. It was +22 C here in north Georgia yesterday. :cool:

Great pics. Doesn't happen in this part of the world either. It was +44 C in my workshop a few days ago!

Looks good! Reminds me of my upcoming holiday: I'm taking my glider to Ottsj? (Sweden) for two weeks of wave flying in March. We also fly from a frozen lake, about 25-30 gliders, six plowed runways (four in the main wind direction, two perpendicular). LOTS of fun!!! :D

Brrrrrr!

What a cool things to do! Thanks for sharing. I've only had my plane down to about -8C and struggled to keep warm. But, I don't have a snow machine suit. Looks like the right clothing!

Back