What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lamestream media

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerhed

Well Known Member
I just read this by Paula Faris of Good Morning America. This is what we're up against.

"A sunny Memorial Day weekend flight ended in a panic as a small single engine plane slammed into the San Diego Bay, narrowly missing a waterfront hotel and shocking onlookers.

The plane, a cessna-152 operated by Aerial Advertising, was flying a banner that read "Honor our Heroes" over the USS Midway aircraft carrier Saturday.

At about 600 feet in the air, the engine shuddered to a stop.

One of the two pilots on board, Ron, who wanted to be identified only his first name, said the pair knew right away they were in serious trouble.

"You prepare for it, but you don't ever want it to happen," he told ABC News San Diego affiliate KGTV.

"After the engine failure? it was just a matter of dropping the banner, get a little better glide out of it? There was no way I was going to make land," Ron said.

Thinking quickly, they lined up with a clear portion of the bay and glided to startling, but safe landing.

"It was just a matter of getting the door open and getting the seatbelts off and got out of it," Ron said.

Nearby boaters and the Coast Guard quickly came to their rescue and the two escaped without injury.

Paul Parcel, one of the good Samaritans who helped rescue the men told KGTV that he knew the plane was in trouble before it even came down.

"I saw the airplane turn from the Midway," Parcel said the station. "I noticed that he was losing altitude and he kept coming down lower and lower."

"slammed into". When I read the story, it sounds like they didn't "slam" into the bay, but made a pretty good emergency landing in the bay. I don't think there would be an interview with one of the pilots if the article was as written.

I agree, I get tired of news writers that have no common sense at all. Do they even re-read their own articles?

Media

The sad thing is that you're never going to defeat the clueless idiots that are out reporting the "News".

The truth is that they can never be experts on everything under the sun---the things they report on, and the way they present it is a culmination of their total experience. Usually they're young and good looking which means that they're still self centered and woefully lacking in life's lessons.

In college, they learn from professors who are the definition of; "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Hopefully damage control can be done by educating the ones you meet by helping them understand a little bit of "Aviation".

....and a sad day for Discovery Channel.....

they now have a show which I tuned in with some excitement...." Dangerous Flights"....
turns out to be a real turkey; a couple guys who ferry aircraft seem to be always about to " drop from the sky" if they happen to use up the last 300 gallons of fuel ....in the next 3 minutes.
...and .... OMG!...they take off when there's clouds in the sky!?!?!?
IF there is a co-pilot, oddly, she is wearing a tube top.

....sigh! :(

Media Reporting 0
Public perception of Pilots 0

Last edited:
I Once Used To Think...

...it would be a good idea for someone better informed to try to educate these media people, but then someone else shared the sad facts with me:

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing - it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

I have, however, discovered an alternate solution. I immediately pick up the TV remote, mash the red button, then go to the garage or airport and build something. Works for me.

Well I read your report ...

I guess I have to offer a differing view. It seemed like pretty fair report to me. What really made me gag was when the four plane flight flew across the area during the Memorial ceremony before the start of the Indianapolis 500 and the TV announcer (let's call him "Bob") with all the "in the know" macho he could muster said what really makes the flight special is two of the planes are World War II P-51 BOMBERS!

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I guess I have to offer a differing view. It seemed like pretty fair report to me. .....
Bob Axsom

"A sunny Memorial Day weekend flight ended in a panic as a small single engine plane slammed into the San Diego Bay, narrowly missing a waterfront hotel and shocking onlookers."

I think the highlighted parts are a little over the top...

If the pilot knew he couldn't make land, I bet the distance to the hotel was actually quite large...:)

But, the idea isn't to report actual news, it's to be sensational...:rolleyes:

EDIT

This report seems very reasonable...

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...s-into-san-diego-bay-20120526,0,4921009.story

Last edited:
...and another thought......

anyone else wonder who in their right mind would load up a C150 with 2 guys and then try to get all hundred ponies to drag a banner around ....at low altitude?

I don't think my engine would like it, either!?!?

just sayin'..... am I way off base here?

anyone else wonder who in their right mind would load up a C150 with 2 guys and then try to get all hundred ponies to drag a banner around ....at low altitude?

I don't think my engine would like it, either!?!?

just sayin'..... am I way off base here?

I bet it was a 150 horse conversion. That's pretty common with banner and glider towing operations.

In college, they learn from professors who are the definition of; "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Please don't blame college professors for this! Some of us actually can "do", and teaching well is a lot harder than you think :)

Personally I think this kind of thing is just about marketing. Juicing up the story a bit will get more attention/sell more advertising. Reporting is not what it used to be (or maybe it is?).

Last edited:
Personally I think this kind of thing is just about marketing. Juicing up the story a bit will get more attention/sell more advertising. Reporting is not what it used to be (or maybe it is?).

Yep, it is marketing and always has been.

Top story today on USAToday.com ranked according to popularity:

"Naked Attacker was Chewing Man's Face"

We are the problem....we click on these headlines.....

Yep, it is marketing and always has been.

Top story today on USAToday.com ranked according to popularity:

"Naked Attacker was Chewing Man's Face"

We are the problem....we click on these headlines.....

I saw that one too... and managed to resist clicking! (this time)

Reporting is not what it used to be (or maybe it is?).

Bad as it is, it used to be worse. In the 1860's Legh Freeman ran his newspaper out of a railroad car and moved west with the UP. He was read by everybody west of the Mississippi.

The election of Grant brought out the voice of moderation, Legh Freeman, who again excited the attention of his readers, many of whom were Union veterans. Freeman, a former Confederate sympathizer, referred to Grant as "the whiskey bloated, squaw ravishing adulterer, nigger worshipping mogul rejoicing over his election to the presidency."

Interesting that no one said Sully Sullenberger "narrowly" missed the GW bridge before "slamming" into the Hudson.

I really do think many people in the US are afraid of flying, especially small planes, so lurid headlines attract readers and feed on their fears.

[stereotyped pejoratives deleted]
The journalist's article was no worse than the unimaginative insults in the quoted post. The attitude shown above about teaching illustrates why we as a country have to import almost all products that require an education to design and produce.

I hate to change subjects on threads but do you think that an "attitude problem" is the reason that vans quick build kits are assembled overseas too?

Journalism students...

... were once taught that the 5Ws were supposed to be contained in the opening paragraph of newspaper articles.

Then the National Enquirer and others of their ilk came along and now it seems nearly every article is written with the sole purpose of selling papers. Some of the car crashes I investigate are quite sensationalized with numerous factual errors as one organization tries to "scoop" the next. If it is a fatal and I get the dispatch tape, literally 50+ % of the calls will be reporters trying to get information! Corrections are always buried deeply in later issues - if they appear at all. It seems most reporters understand that people have short memories and yesterday's paper is either wrapping garbage or lining the birdcage.

Maybe things haven't changed. Thomas Jefferson said, : The man who reads nothing at all is better informed than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

Larry Tompkins
N544WB RV-6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

The only difference between pilots and journalists is I've never read on any journalism forum about how ALL pilots are stupid because a few are.

I've pretty much given up the idea of helping to bring these two warring factions together.

We pretty much are going to get what we deserve and the next time an airport closes, please don't come crying to me about how the local media didn't pay any attention to its value.

Just keep treating it as the enemy. You don't have to let me know how that turns out. I already know. :mad:

A positive aviation story!

Well, Just in time, Fox news just posted a very positive story about living on an airpark. Nothing bad that I could see on the first read through anyway. They even mentioned you don't have to be filthy rich to have an air plane and live there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep treating it as the enemy. You don't have to let me know how that turns out. I already know. :mad:
10 years ago our local airport was threatened with closure. We delayed that with the FAA grant money, but knew we had to start educating the citizenry about the airport. We formed a local Friends of the Airport, held annual Open Houses and took the local newspaper photographer and reporter on an airplane ride a couple of weeks before. Got above-the-fold free press coverage, all very favorable.

Perjoratives

[stereotyped pejoratives deleted]
The journalist's article was no worse than the unimaginative insults in the quoted post. The attitude shown above about teaching illustrates why we as a country have to import almost all products that require an education to design and produce.

In the spirit of keeping posts civil and avoiding thread drift; my thoughts---unimaginative---certainly----truth? You be the judge. I agree with benbel4140, the attitude didn't cause the problem.

My opinion, is that the state of the school system in the USA is the biggest cause.

If you're a teacher, I'm sorry.:rolleyes:

news

"we got the bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at five,
she can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye"
Don Henly-Dirty Laundry
with apolgies to all blondes who are not bubble heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back