What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lafayette LA

Jim Kiloh

Well Known Member
I'm flying into KLFT on Saturday and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on which FBO to use. Also I notice that there is a SD 8G security Directive listed for this airport, any heads up on the requirements needed for this? It's been about 12 years since I flew in there, it seemed so much simpler back then:confused:

LFT

I flew in there last year for a day or two and used the FBO on the north end of the airport if I remember right. Did not need any fuel and I think it was maybe $10-$20 to park overnight. Real nice friendly people and had a shuttle to take me to my motel. I don't recall anything about a security directive.

KLFT

I live in the nearby in New Iberia and often operate out of LFT. No changes noticed in the last year. You are probably not as free to wander around the ramp and hangers like in the good old days. Where do you need to go? If your visit takes you out of the city there are other good airports nearby? Feel free to email.

Don Broussard
[email protected]

RV9 Rebuild in Progress

I live in the nearby in New Iberia and often operate out of LFT. No changes noticed in the last year. You are probably not as free to wander around the ramp and hangers like in the good old days.

Don is correct - do not wander at the airport. Don't quote me on this, but I believe all air carrier airports fall under the SD 8G security directive now...? Essentially, if you are based there, the GA portion is all secured, and visible badges are required to be on the ramp areas - certain badges for certain areas - i.e. even if I have a GA ramp access badge, I cannot be wandering into the carrier ramp area - not sure why I would be, but you get the gist of it. Really no issue for transient GA in my experience.

Back