What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lack of elevator authority RV-10 vs Cardinal Cessna ?

avee8tor13

Well Known Member
All,
I use to have a Cardinal and they cut slots in the horizontal stab for better low speed authority. I have heard there is a lack of elevator authority with the the RV-10.

Thoughts anyone?

Cardinal had a full flying stab. IIRC.

I dont think the slots would have that much effect on a 10.

The elevator issue is not too severe unless you are front CG, and slow.

I sure don't see it on my RV-10

I have never noticed any problem with lack of elevator authority on my RV-10. I generally do not use full flaps unless I have two people in the backseat but otherwise it is one of the easiest landing airplanes I have ever flown.

visitor from Northern VA

Bruce,

Did a guy name John fly down to visit you and take a ride in your plane about 1 or 2 months ago?

avee8tor13

I've flown the -10 in many different weight set ups, even with two people in back, and only me up front. It was just a little lighter on the nose, and the flair was interesting, but behaved well and I still had plenty of control.

The Cardinal doesn't have slots to aid in authority, they have slots to prevent the tail from stalling (slow speed characteristics).

All,
I use to have a Cardinal and they cut slots in the horizontal stab for better low speed authority. I have heard there is a lack of elevator authority with the the RV-10.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh boy!

Famously heard in avaition prior to incidents..
"I have heard... "
"Hold my beer, watch this.."

Thank you for your responses.

I would like to thank all for their responses. When I am not sure about something, go to those with the knowledge and experience.

Back