What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Label Maker

rcarson

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me which label maker goes down to a 6 point font for marking wiring? I have checked the spec sheets on 10 or so machines and can't find one that lists the font sizes. Thanks.

cheap

Another option is to print out what you want, in the size you want, on your computer. Cut it out and mount it on the wire with clear heat shrink tubing of the appropriate size.
Not much work, and all you need to buy is clear heat shrink tubing.

Another option is to print out what you want, in the size you want, on your computer. Cut it out and mount it on the wire with clear heat shrink tubing of the appropriate size.
Not much work, and all you need to buy is clear heat shrink tubing.

And it works well - on a 20 g wire -

wire-label-20-g.jpg

I used a KROY shrink labeler for several years until I got sick of paying like a buck and a half per wire label. The clear shrink idea works good. I like cheap, when cheap is good.

Somehow I never could get "no waste". I'd get a misprint or I'd booger it somehow. Then I'd run out in the middle of a wire job. I did an 8 with simple avionics and a label on each wire end and used 3 full 1/8" cartridges. Maybe its just me.

The Brother PT-2430 PC will go down to 5 point type. A great fringe benefit I discovered after buying one is that they make white on clear tape for panel labels. The only other white on clear printer I know of is the expensive ALPS printer. The industrial grade tapes are tough stuff. 1/2" tape is TZe-135. 3/4" is TZe-145. You can purchase tapes on Amazon for $10-16 for 26 ft.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Can anyone tell me which label maker goes down to a 6 point font for marking wiring? I have checked the spec sheets on 10 or so machines and can't find one that lists the font sizes. Thanks.

I'll throw my $.02 in. I have a Brother "P-touch", model PT-1400. Don't remeber how much it cost or the cost of the tape but it works great. size goes from12mm to 12 mm - don't know what that equates to in "point" size but 1mm is really small. :)

I'll throw my $.02 in. I have a Brother "P-touch", model PT-1400. Don't remeber how much it cost or the cost of the tape but it works great. size goes from12mm to 12 mm - don't know what that equates to in "point" size but 1mm is really small. :)

OOOPS! THAT'S 1MM TO 12MM ON THE PT-1400.

Thanks everyone for the input. I also like cheap when it's good so I will try the computer with the clear heat shrink. Also one of the Brother label makers. Still have to mark the panel.

A K-Sun label maker lets you print on heat shrink tubing. I bought mine from www.imagesupply.com and it works great

Ditto! I bought the K-Sun BEE-3 Worked absolutely perfect. I also bought the clear tape with white print to label my panel switches and breakers, fuel tanks, NO STEP on the flaps etc.... I HIGHLY recommend it!

I have the K-Sun BEE3, and it works perfectly for the application. The heatshrink cartridges are a tad pricey, but at this point in the game, anything less than a cool thousand bucks is lost in the noise LOL!

I'm labelling most of the wires (except things like short jumper wires in switch connectors, etc.), and it's already helped immensely in routine wires, making neat bundles and loops to connect to grounding busses, etc. It's quick, easy, works fine on wires down to 22 AWG, and creates a professional-looking installation.

Highly recommended...

Steve

Back