What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KX 155 TSO reception volume

spilligan

I'm New Here
Just purchased a used RV6A (nice) with a KX 155 TSO Nav-com unit. On running a radio check with the tower they were reading me 5. However my reception of them, though crystal clear and static free was very low volume and the same on three different head sets and after turning up all volume options on headsets and panel and playing with squelch and different frequencies. Seemed to suggest that the low volume reception issue is in the delivery from the unit to the headset or is something else going on? I wondered if there is an option to adjust for this within the unit itself or am I off to the Aviation electronics repairers to give them my money ? Any advice appreciated.

Just purchased a used RV6A (nice) with a KX 155 TSO Nav-com unit. On running a radio check with the tower they were reading me 5. However my reception of them, though crystal clear and static free was very low volume and the same on three different head sets and after turning up all volume options on headsets and panel and playing with squelch and different frequencies. Seemed to suggest that the low volume reception issue is in the delivery from the unit to the headset or is something else going on? I wondered if there is an option to adjust for this within the unit itself or am I off to the Aviation electronics repairers to give them my money ? Any advice appreciated.
Welcome to VAF!!!

Just to be absolutely clear, you adjusted the volume on

1. The radio on/off/volume knob

2. The intercom

3. The headset

If you covered these then you might need some help.

Possibility

Stereo jacks with non-stereo headset. If so, Pull headset plug back until tip only engages first contact finger. Big jump in volume if this is the case.

Radio vol

I had the same problem with a MX 11 , lost a wire on the female jack that the head set plugs into ,I could transmit but not receive. Give them a look.
Tom

Back