What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KT76A question

Brantel

Well Known Member
I picked up a yellow tagged KT76A a long while back from a South East avionics shop and just got it all wired and powered up this weekend..

My question for the many that have used one of these: Is it normal to hear the high frequency whine of the oscillator inside the unit when you power it up in a quiet environment?

I do not hear it within the headsets on or across the intercom or radio...but I do hear it in the area around the plane in my quiet garage. It is not really loud, but you can tell when the unit is on. (only in stby)

Last edited:
Thanks,

Just wondered if it was normal....Most of the time in all the spam cans that I have flew that used this transponder, I have the headphones on and the engine started so one would not hear that whine. I have no way to test my purchase and the warranty runs out in a few weeks so if this is normal I will assume all is well.

Normal I guess

I had an install issue on mine not allowing the transponder to transmit.
The tech doing the check said, "I know it's working. I can hear it".

Normal

Yes, the T-whine (transistor whine) is from the high voltage power supply and is audible in most cavity tube transponders. Transponders with a solid-state transmitter, such as the Garmin 320, 327, 330, etc., do not use a HV power supply and will not have the whine.

Yes, the T-whine (transistor whine) is from the high voltage power supply and is audible in most cavity tube transponders. Transponders with a solid-state transmitter, such as the Garmin 320, 327, 330, etc., do not use a HV power supply and will not have the whine.

If I could get my engine quite enough to hear this "whine", I'd sure be happy! :)

L.Adamson ---- has to use ANR's

Back