What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Knurled switch retension rings?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm not even sure what to call them. The ring with knurled ridges in them that in NOT hexed for a wrench. Often put on last. Some switches come with them and some don't. Stein's doesn't stock them. Just for consistency, I'd either like to do all switches with them or none of them.
Anyone know a source?

Attachments

• S700DFN.jpg
    S700DFN.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 48
When I get a switch or phone jack etc with the knurled rings, I put it to the inside and the hex nut to the outside. That way I can tighten it with a socket or end wrench.

Switch nuts

I also used hex nuts. However, since my panel is vinyl wrapped, Inused a thin polished flat washer then the lock washer, then hex nut. Easy to tighten with a deep well socket.

My preferred method is to tighten from the back (per C&K instructions)
Set the front ring or nut on the barrel with about half thread exposed, or, if the ring is collared, tight. This allows you to clock the nuts all the same. Tighten from the back (lock washer on the back) using an ignition wrench or similar. Gives a very finished appearance.
Having a half inch of switch barrel sticking out of the panel is just...wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 95
Clay,

If you want to just use hex nuts for your switches I have a bunch of extras. I could probably send you all you need.

Got 'em

I did find them at Digi-key. Inbound now.
As to installation, the possibilities are endless. I have drilled the back of the panel for the anti-rotation washers. And I've begun testing how to get the amount of switch body exposed I want. Setting the exposed nut and then tightening from the rear sounds like the way to go. thanks.

Switch Bezel Nuts (Round - DIY)

Since (almost) everything on my panel was round, I didn't want to "kluge" up the look with anything hex, so I ...

Made my own round bezel nuts, had them chromed; and, installed the switches with a washer & slim hex nut on the back.

I made a "slim" wrench, thinner than an ignition wrench, for securing the switch, with just enough thread showing at the front of the panel to be acceptable. Makes a nice round, coordinated look.

HFS - Old School HRII

Attachments

• Switch Bezel Nuts (Round - DIY).jpg
    Switch Bezel Nuts (Round - DIY).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 67
Back