What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Know your electronics

humptybump

Well Known Member
Today's AOPA ePILOT newsletter had a short paragraph half way down the page titled "Rare but Dangerous - in flight electrical fires" it also had a link to an informative PDF.

This topic is significant to me as it I how I was branded with the call "Smoke Boy" back in my primary flight training. Short story is I had an significant in-flight electrical fire on my first solo cross country flight.

My RV-8 panel is not hugely different from that primary trainer. It has basic instruments. On that day that the pungent smoke plumed in my cockpit, it was a fraction of a second until I had the master switch in the off position. It was a reaction of my training and barely a conscious decision. I recall a funny thought crossing my mind - "geeh, this plane really does fly without the electrical system on". (Technically it still had the self contained electrical aspects of the magnetos but to this student pilot, flying with 'the switch' off was little more than book-theory up until that moment.)

I have read many posts of wonderful glass panels and electronic ignition systems with detailed descriptions of battery backups, diode isolation circuits, etc. Done correctly, these systems will tolerate different degrees of electrical fires.

I write this as a reminder, that those of us with glass panels and modern electronics need to be instinctively familiar with what works and what doesn't work when you throw 'the switch'. It only takes a fraction of a second for things to change in a very dramatic way.

On a related note...

I'm planning my EI installation and thinking about wiring.

I'm considering wiring the ECU directly to the battery rather than off the main buss via a pullable breaker in the breaker panel and thence to a locking toggle switch by my mag/starter switch.

What are the pros and cons of wiring directly to the battery? I've never turned my master off in flight, but I suppose there is always a first time. What about master switch failure, battery contractor failure etc?

One concern about wiring directly from the battery rather than via the main buss is that the wire from the batt + to the panel breaker will not be protected. There is a trade off between using the main buss, which is fed via the master switch controlled contacter and a large gauge cable but suffers from the potential of inadvertent in-flight master switch operation or failure of the master switch and/or battery contacter, or wiring directly to the battery and having the 18 AWG wire between the battery and breaker a potential issue of shorting/overheating/fire.

Endurance Buss

Check out Bob Nuckolls at aeroelectric.com His book is a wealth of information about fault-resistant electrical systems. One of the things he recommends (and I am including in my -6) is an endurance buss. This buss powers the devices the pilot/owner determines to be essential to flight after a significant electrical failure event. The electrical system includes a switch that will power the endurance buss directly from the battery and isolate it from the rest of the electrical system via a schottky diode.

I have not gone back and traced the failure routes and POH procedures for Paul (Ironflight) & Louise's RV-3 but I recall they had one or more very good posts on their electrical system, isolations of primary and secondary systems, etc.

My gut says "direct wire thru breaker to battery" has some undesirable side effects but again, without a failure route trace I am just guessing.

Edit: here is Paul's thread - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=73527

I have read many posts of wonderful glass panels and electronic ignition systems with detailed descriptions of battery backups, diode isolation circuits, etc. Done correctly, these systems will tolerate different degrees of electrical fires.

I write this as a reminder, that those of us with glass panels and modern electronics need to be instinctively familiar with what works and what doesn't work when you throw 'the switch'. It only takes a fraction of a second for things to change in a very dramatic way.

I agree, but I also would like to add that one of the key features of a "successful" design is in it's simplicity. I get in and operate quite a few aircraft, some of them have a vast array of switches with cryptic labels that defy "logic". You should not need a "Procedures Manual" to operate a simple aircraft like an RV.

Chances are when things go wrong you will forget how all those fancy systems work :rolleyes:

Walt - you make a good point and one worth serious attention.

Had the aircraft I was flying been equipt with a "unique procedure" the outcome could have been very different. I hit that master switch in a fraction of a second. "Simple" may well have been the "link that broke the accident chain".

Back