What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KLN-90B Died

SydneyACE

My KLN-90B died on me. What would you all recommend for replacing or upgrading?
I would like to keep the plane IFR capable (even though I never fly IFR).
My cheapest option is probably just to send mine for repair? Where do you guys recommend for repairs on a 90B?

What are some other decent options for an IFR GPS for under $2,000?
It would be great if it was compatible with my Trutrak PFD.
It doesn't HAVE to be IFR capable (I know this is a grey area), so I'm open to other options too.

Why not offer this guy 50 bucks, I bet he takes it, **** offer him 25 I bet he takes it.. who in there right mind would offer more than that form a 30 year old radio, chance it works fine, he has not tested it so sells as is for parts. I have bought a few things like that that worked fine.

Another option is a new GPS 175, around $4900. brand new, at least you should be able to sell it for 70% of new price if you want to.. but what I would not do is buy a 20 year old 430w or 400w for more than 1000 bucks, they are old and will not last forever, crazy the money people are paying for a 20 year old 430 when you can buy a new 355 or 175 for such a low price compared to what people think a 20 year old gps is worth.

Attachments

• 20230920_140355.png
    20230920_140355.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I have a KLN-89b that was working (and updated! I did my IFR ride with it in 2020) when it was removed a couple years ago (been sitting in the office since). They are [NOT] tray compatible, and the airplane it came out of had the serial port connection in the panel, so I never needed the card programmer. That would [NOT] get you down the road until it died, and new Garmin units have steep discounts :D. If that would work for you, you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Edit: The KLN-89b and the KLN-94 are tray compatible, the KLN-89b/94 and the 90b are NOT tray compatible. I misread the OP and confirmation bias kicked in, went downhill from there.

Last edited:
Are the trays and connectors different between the 90b and the 89b?
What does it take to change trays?

Sorry, see my edit above. They are not tray compatible, and it appears the 90b has an ARINC connection? So even if you went to the trouble of swapping trays, you might lose functionality you currently have. You are way better off going all in on a new unit, or buying a functional 90b to put in your tray.

What kind of discounts is Garmin offrring? If he doesnt want the kln89b I will take it,

Poorly worded joke, people seem to believe that a day is coming where Garmin will send out flyers saying "2020-2023 never happened! Reply now to save 50% on a new Garmin GPS!" They may not increase prices as fast in the future, but they are never going to get cheaper.

Back