What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KitPlanes Video Roundtable Discussion on LCP

A very good overview and synopsis of the test data and engineering analysis that has been recently published by Vans Aircraft regarding LCP parts, from four different people whose opinions I hold in high regard.

One of the biggest takeaways for everyone that has had, and publicly voiced their opinions on the subject of LCP parts….

THE FIRST ANSWER IS ALWAYS WRONG !

Something that hopefully all of us can keep in mind going forward.

It will be interesting to see if this latest round of test results and engineering analysis along with the latest videos presented by Vans and the KitPlanes roundtable tempers the tone of some of the most outspoken folks here...

My take away from this video are:

Vans analyzed the LCP and found out they are no different than punch holes. It only started LCP production after getting positive results

The communications from Vans is terrible. The point agreed by everyone on the panel. Lack of communication led to the loud noise that filled the vacuum. One person on the panel graded it as D-

All four people on the panel have a wealth of experience building airplanes, inspecting airplanes. Their words worth a lot more than the "social media" posts by those who barely stated the empennage section

The engineering data presented by Vans, the load cases analyzed, coupon testing, load testing, fatigue testing all exceeded even the certificated aircraft manufacturers. This was agreed by the panel

Is it cheaper and faster to produce LCPs? If so, let'd ditch the punched presses and do LCP-only. More profit for Van's, lower costs and less delay for customers. Plus, it would give Van's the ability to outsource and therefore ramp up and down production quickly, i.e. more flexible to changes in demand.

Is it cheaper and faster to produce LCPs? If so, let'd ditch the punched presses and do LCP-only. More profit for Van's, lower costs and less delay for customers. Plus, it would give Van's the ability to outsource and therefore ramp up and down production quickly, i.e. more flexible to changes in demand.

The info I have is that LCP’s were actually more expensive (don’t know what the actual cost delta was) but it was done anyway in an effort to shrink the long lead times.

Actually, in my opinion, doing that would add a high amount of unnecessary RISK to Van's and possibly in the end cost a LOT more.

Van's purchased and have been operating certain punch equipment in-house for quite some time. I would guess that that equipment paid for itself a LONG time ago so the marginal cost for running 1, 2, or 3 shifts using it might be a bit lower. And they are not 100% DEPENDANT on the outside supplier.

James Clark at 23:20 has an outstanding summary of the entire situation.

James Clark's summary is worth the price of admission.

If only Vans had had someone with James' PR and communication acumen in the early days of this saga instead of only engineering types......

James Clark's summary is worth the price of admission.

If only Vans had had someone with James' PR and communication acumen in the early days of this saga instead of only engineering types......

If only! The current situation could have been avoided.

In the earlier days when Van himself was closer to the helm the growth was steady and even though there were sometimes technical problems, there was regular communication and progress updates via the RVator monthly newsletter. The company seems more inwardly focussed now and less involved with its customers.

If Van's could establish a management board of advisors with people like James, Paul etc, who have broad and extensive managerial experience, then that would give the company a sound perspective for its strategic decisions and actions in the future, assuming they survive.

It will be interesting to see if this latest round of test results and engineering analysis along with the latest videos presented by Vans and the KitPlanes roundtable tempers the tone of some of the most outspoken folks here...

Im not sure it will.

It's about emotion now. And quite a few on here will not tolerate being wrong. They are emotionally invested in LCP being bad news for aircraft, and no amount of engineering analysis or reasoning will dissuade them from that.

there was regular communication and progress updates via the RVator monthly newsletter. The company seems more inwardly focussed now and less involved with its customers.

I wonder why Vans stopped publishing the RVator. I guess VAF took over that job but it is becoming more like a social media board instead of the builder information board. Just look at the ratio of CH11/LCP posts to the RV build posts.
The Vans aircraft company missed the big opportunity to use this VAF resource to provide the necessary communication to the builders early on.

The conclusions in this video align with my opinion all along, that this was a QC failure, not an engineering failure. And as such, those with good quality LCP parts have ZERO issues to worry about.

What remains are those with cracked LCP parts. Those folks have to decide for themselves how much they want to lean on this engineering conclusion.

Im not sure it will.

It's about emotion now. And quite a few on here will not tolerate being wrong. They are emotionally invested in LCP being bad news for aircraft, and no amount of engineering analysis or reasoning will dissuade them from that.

Sad, but I suspect you are pretty close to the bullseye on that.

Vans engineering conservatism may indeed contribute to the LCP problem/solution continuing. "Overabundance of caution."

They have demonstrated that LCP dimpled manufacturing cracks do not propagate. Fatigue cracks do not originate from nor propagate to them either.

So labeling some LCP parts red and "recommend to replace" simply does not make any sense, primary structure or not. Trying to get air frames to last more than a very, very conservative 13,000 hours. Why?

Maybe it's for PR purposes, but I'm not at all sure it's a good solution.

Showing RV-12 stabilator with spars in red seems to be an obvious way to alarm people who are not going to watch the 2 hour testing video presentation.

Perhaps "additional extensive testing has shown that all supplied LCP parts are safe for use; build on!" would be a much better solution.

Finn

Communication

Great video presentation, thanks Paul!
James Clark was spot on as far as communication. He gave Vans a D-, personally I would give them an F but the good news is that aspect is already changing for the better. Like he said, this was a management problem, not an engineering problem. Good news or bad news, we all want to hear the straight scoop. No different than the SB's that come out from time to time where we have to inspect and/or take corrective action. Just like we used to say in the Navy when we had an inflight emergency: step 1, wind the clock....... take a breath, let the dust settle, analyze, evaluate, resolve. For you youngsters, hit the stopwatch function on your iPhone. I don't pretend to be in the same boat with all the folks impacted by the LCP issue but it looks to me like Vans is trying to right the ship. No matter what Vans does, some will decide they want nothing short of a full refund. We all know that's not going to happen in a Chapter 11 process. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, it ain't pretty, but we survive and move forward. Vans can't change history but they can make positive changes and move forward. Trust was dealt a blow but their actions are slowly gaining it back.

This screen grab picture from the presentation video says A LOT. A fatigue crack from testing not far away from a manufacturing crack that has no issues.

The only question I have is: when can I order my RV-15? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 179
The conclusions in this video align with my opinion all along, that this was a QC failure, not an engineering failure. And as such, those with good quality LCP parts have ZERO issues to worry about.

Absolutely correct. And add to that an inventory tracking/control (or lack thereof) problem, coupled with a management problem (that fostered the "build on" mentality throughout the company, instead of the "STOP! There seems to be an issue that should be looked at..." mentality).

IMO, the engineering work done by the Van's team, led by Rian and Brian, is beyond thorough and removes any doubt in my mind regarding the suitability of these LCP parts. These guys must have spent a pretty miserable summer and fall doing all this work. The detail is quite impressive. I say this as an engineer working in aerospace, although not the exact discipline.

This work, as well as the visual inspections I have been able to perform, lead me further to decide to not remove the inboard wing ribs, even though they are marked as recommended for replacement. In my view, this is way more than an abundance of caution. I will likely do more damage to the airframe with this operation. I may mitigate this by an application of Proseal around the flanges of these ribs, as suggested by Steve Smith as mentioned in the round table discussion.

Thanks to all who have worked so hard to get to the facts regarding the situation.

QB good or bad LCP's?

What remains are those with cracked LCP parts. Those folks have to decide for themselves how much they want to lean on this engineering conclusion.

So how do we determine if our QB (Wing in my case) contains good or bad LCP's?

Presentation at OSH 23 by Vans pointed at the issue but seems a supplier audit would/could have been performed 9 months before OSH 23 when builders started to see issues with cracking parts. (As reported on this forum by a long time and very experienced A&P builder)

The conclusions in this video align with my opinion all along, that this was a QC failure, not an engineering failure. ...

Absolutely correct. And add to that an inventory tracking/control (or lack thereof) problem, ...

Can not disagree with this. However, you have to remember that if Van's adopted the parts traceability and quality control processes used in the certified world, we would be paying certified-world prices.

Two of the multiple hard lessons Van's has learned in the last couple of years are that they need to have a higher level of QC than they have had in the past (would have caught the Quickbuild primer/corrosion problem and would have caught the change in laser cutting path from one batch order to the next),

AND

they need to have some level of parts traceability to tell which parts got sent to which builder or into which s/n kit.

It is going to be a challenge to develop a lean-enough process for both of these issues to be able to keep costs as low as possible. But you know, they are smart folks, they will figure it out. No doubt there are some modern off-the-shelf solutions for this that hit a sweet spot of functional benefit vs cost.

So how do we determine if our QB (Wing in my case) contains good or bad LCP's?

The video comments are that the LCP's are not an issue. There are no "bad" or "good" LCP's and the failures have nothing to do with them being LCP's. At least this is my understanding. They are relating to the "compression ring" (I use that definition lightly) at the outside edge of the dimple, and this, too me not being an engineer, makes complete sense.

In fact, for some unknown reason, the LCP's seem to feature a more consistent failure than punched... no idea why, but that is what the data suggests.

Nope. It is not cheaper to produce using laser cutting. It costs more.

I suspect that laser cutting has an advantage of low setup and tooling costs but longer run times per part so it could be advantageous for smaller batches of parts or bringing “temporary”’production sources on line, but for large production runs the CNC punch presses will be faster and cheaper.

Skylor

I ordered/rec'd the one "red" bulkhead part and was gonna initially build on but have decided to replace the parts at my expense. SB RV10 Fuse-2 kit

I was looking at a number of these part holes in the bright sunlight and the issue that I had was some of the holes appear elongated. This is a final size hole kit. Of course I expected to ream and de-burr these holes but what does one do with an elongated hole? I think the only answer is to really make it bigger and fill it with a larger rivet, bolt, screw? Seemed to create more questions than I needed. Fortunately I only have 20 parts to replace and only one was really assembled so it makes sense for me to just order and wait.

Can not disagree with this. However, you have to remember that if Van's adopted the parts traceability and quality control processes used in the certified world, we would be paying certified-world prices.

Two of the multiple hard lessons Van's has learned in the last couple of years are that they need to have a higher level of QC than they have had in the past (would have caught the Quickbuild primer/corrosion problem and would have caught the change in laser cutting path from one batch order to the next),

AND

they need to have some level of parts traceability to tell which parts got sent to which builder or into which s/n kit.

It is going to be a challenge to develop a lean-enough process for both of these issues to be able to keep costs as low as possible. But you know, they are smart folks, they will figure it out. No doubt there are some modern off-the-shelf solutions for this that hit a sweet spot of functional benefit vs cost.
I disagree. Zillions of companies out there have reasonable QA programs and parts traceability without ginormous costs to the customers. For a company Van's size, 1 or 2 people dedicated to QA would probably have been enough, provided they had a good PLAN in place and followed it. Inventory control has been around for decades and can be OTS. There is not reason that any given kit shouldn't have all parts with lot numbers at least tagged to that kit and such. That's what computers are for.

There's a management part to this, too. If a problem is identified by QA (either on-site at the vendor, in receiving inspection, during random inventory parts inspection, or by reports from customers), QA has to have the authority to halt the process until the problem is analyzed and resolved. Seems to me that nobody at Van's had that authority or they weren't comfortable raising their hand, at least with the LCP problem, until it was too late.

I disagree. Zillions of companies out there have reasonable QA programs and parts traceability without ginormous costs to the customers. For a company Van's size, 1 or 2 people dedicated to QA would probably have been enough, provided they had a good PLAN in place and followed it. Inventory control has been around for decades and can be OTS. There is not reason that any given kit shouldn't have all parts with lot numbers at least tagged to that kit and such. That's what computers are for.

There's a management part to this, too. If a problem is identified by QA (either on-site at the vendor, in receiving inspection, during random inventory parts inspection, or by reports from customers), QA has to have the authority to halt the process until the problem is analyzed and resolved. Seems to me that nobody at Van's had that authority or they weren't comfortable raising their hand, at least with the LCP problem, until it was too late.
Not sure if this statement is true from my experience. There are literally thousands of LCP holes and punched holes in a RV kit. Every time it is burned or punched, there is a potential for error. There is zero chance for a human to catch the defects, especially for the miniscule 3/32 holes. The only way to check them is via a electronic inspection machines and they aren't cheap to operate. These types of machines are used in industrial, agricultural, food processing but you still need specialized tech to program, maintain, etc. So yes, there is an enormous amount of cost for a 100% QC and its not 100% fool proof either.

In the end, it's the builder who has to do the final quality check. Everybody contributes to QC. I found a few major errors in my "pre LCP" kit. This is the same with the big B and A companies too. They handle parts that are shipped across the country, sometimes from a foreign country. I saw parts that are marginal shipped from a foreign country but analysis said it was good, so we used them. Management use the term zero defect as though that actually exists. It's not about catching 100% of everything but the QC system is designed to catch the most errors so that the swiss cheese holes don't line up. If there are something that are found, the damage is gradual enough to issue an SB, or AD, to inspect and to fix. Everything can be fixed. Granted, the most vocal LCP critics have the least amount of rivets but all bad holes can be fixed, and they are being fixed everyday by actual builders.

Not sure if this statement is true from my experience. There are literally thousands of LCP holes and punched holes in a RV kit. Every time it is burned or punched, there is a potential for error. There is zero chance for a human to catch the defects, especially for the miniscule 3/32 holes. The only way to check them is via a electronic inspection machines and they aren't cheap to operate. These types of machines are used in industrial, agricultural, food processing but you still need specialized tech to program, maintain, etc. So yes, there is an enormous amount of cost for a 100% QC and its not 100% fool proof either.

In the end, it's the builder who has to do the final quality check. Everybody contributes to QC. I found a few major errors in my "pre LCP" kit. This is the same with the big B and A companies too. They handle parts that are shipped across the country, sometimes from a foreign country. I saw parts that are marginal shipped from a foreign country but analysis said it was good, so we used them. Management use the term zero defect as though that actually exists. It's not about catching 100% of everything but the QC system is designed to catch the most errors so that the swiss cheese holes don't line up. If there are something that are found, the damage is gradual enough to issue an SB, or AD, to inspect and to fix. Everything can be fixed. Granted, the most vocal LCP critics have the least amount of rivets but all bad holes can be fixed, and they are being fixed everyday by actual builders.
Flatly untrue. Humans are the ones who found the problems in the first place and reported them to Van's. The LCP errors were visible with the naked eye as evidenced by the photos users here posted. E.g.,

https://vansairforce.net/attachments/img_4039-jpg.42843/

This was a series of escapes. 1. Someone at the vendor changed the tool path and the lack of on-site oversight by Van's let it keep going. 2. Random inspections of received parts apparently didn't occur. 3. Random inventory QC checks may have caught it, but apparently didn't happen, either; once on the shelf, the next step was grabbing parts, tossing them in the box, and shipping out. 4. Once brought to their attention, it was months before anything was done (stop LC production, etc.).

Regular old Mark I eyeballs can see the defects in processes and parts. Nobody was looking.

Flatly untrue. Humans are the ones who found the problems in the first place and reported them to Van's. The LCP errors were visible with the naked eye as evidenced by the photos users here posted. E.g.,

https://vansairforce.net/attachments/img_4039-jpg.42843/

This was a series of escapes. 1. Someone at the vendor changed the tool path and the lack of on-site oversight by Van's let it keep going. 2. Random inspections of received parts apparently didn't occur. 3. Random inventory QC checks may have caught it, but apparently didn't happen, either; once on the shelf, the next step was grabbing parts, tossing them in the box, and shipping out. 4. Once brought to their attention, it was months before anything was done (stop LC production, etc.).

Regular old Mark I eyeballs can see the defects in processes and parts. Nobody was looking.
My point is in the totality of aircraft building, the defect was caught by the builder since nobody on Earth could manually inspect all the holes at the factory. And there are very few defects. As reported in the last few months, people inspected the affected parts and they could find nothing wrong with the QB or the parts they have on hand. The builder who found the defect, brought up the issues, and here we are. I am not convince random inspection will catch everything. They don't even catch everything in the big boy's world. The the idea is everybody checks along the way, from parts, to sub-assembly, to big assemblies, to the final flying airplane. It is not supposed to be a perfect airplane and this is why engineers design in safety factors. The testing in the discussion showed that the imperfect part has no bearing on the failure mode.
Also I don't expect the guy who grab the part and crate the box will check. I used to work in the warehouse and we only make sure we grab the right parts. We had no ideas if it's bad or not. It would be nice but maybe not for the warehouse guy getting paid minimum wage. I can't even see the microcracks unless I use a magnifying glass.

You are making my point for me. There ARE reasonable QA programs and processes, as you describe, and Van's will no doubt be instituting some of those, having learned this hard lesson.

But what you describe is a long way from the Certified world traceability that you pay for when you get a Cessna or Cirrus. They have to maintain lot-number traceability and parts conformity data down to which sheet of aluminum, from which supplier, that came in on what purchase order, was used to make any particular part. And then of course, who made the part, on what day, and passed which inspections, and into what airplane did it go.
An OEM supplier might change the style or design of a switch or a resistor that is used in an assembled component. And the airframe builder is responsible for that assembled device still conforming to the design specs. Do they trust the OEM supplier of that component that the device still complies with a TSO, or do they verify it any time a supplier changes its internal supply sources. One lost law suit is enough to answer that question. The airframer has to stay on top of all this. And yet, somehow a fuselage shipped from Wichita to Seattle was missing some bolts!

Greg, I think yall should vocalize this more, that LCP is more expensive and that is why yall are not continuing it. Many people interpret, "there is nothing wrong with them, but we are no longer producing them" to mean yall are covering something up. I think the 2 hr video was a great step, but the company never really addresses why they will not continue them if there is no safety issue with them. Or that the reason is only by popular demand.

Greg, I think yall should vocalize this more, that LCP is more expensive and that is why yall are not continuing it. Many people interpret, "there is nothing wrong with them, but we are no longer producing them" to mean yall are covering something up. I think the 2 hr video was a great step, but the company never really addresses why they will not continue them if there is no safety issue with them. Or that the reason is only by popular demand.
Van's acquired another Trumpf 5000 punch machine in 2022 (capital cost over $600,000) to provide additional in-house manufacturing capacity. So I am sure they will now want to utilize that machine, rather than outsource the manufacturing to a third party.
Initially, Van's outsourced the work to the laser cutter because Van's did not have the internal capacity to deal with their order backlog. Those vendor costs would include a profit margin and other expenses associated with outsourcing.
It is smart to outsource, at least for a while, because the surge in orders after 2019 was unexpected and nobody could be certain whether that would be sustained or a bubble that may pop.

Do we really need to re-hash "what Vans did wrong"? By now even my cat understands that aspect. Let's talk about engineering and component lifespan.
In the end it comes down to an individual decision to use -or not use- LCP components.
For those that are annal in seeking perfection in the quality of their work and the aircraft they build I would expect them to not use LCP whereas for some the concerns about LCP will be some way down the quality list as Vic commented . The irony of the kitplane video discussion is that I would place a small bet that at least one of the four participants would not use LCP in their own personal projects (I did say a small bet).
As a final observation - Vans management team could be said to have got into financial trouble because, while it had good capable people they all lacked financial management training and experience. Similarly, the four folks on the video round table all had exceptional resumes and contributed their own point of view to the discussion - but - If there had been a metallurgist with the same level of impeccable resume contributing to the discussion it would have carried more weight and not left me wondering if I would be the only person not prepared to use LCP assemblies.
And that is something I don’t have to explain to your cat.

My point is in the totality of aircraft building, the defect was caught by the builder since nobody on Earth could manually inspect all the holes at the factory. And there are very few defects. As reported in the last few months, people inspected the affected parts and they could find nothing wrong with the QB or the parts they have on hand. The builder who found the defect, brought up the issues, and here we are. I am not convince random inspection will catch everything. They don't even catch everything in the big boy's world. The the idea is everybody checks along the way, from parts, to sub-assembly, to big assemblies, to the final flying airplane. It is not supposed to be a perfect airplane and this is why engineers design in safety factors. The testing in the discussion showed that the imperfect part has no bearing on the failure mode.
Also I don't expect the guy who grab the part and crate the box will check. I used to work in the warehouse and we only make sure we grab the right parts. We had no ideas if it's bad or not. It would be nice but maybe not for the warehouse guy getting paid minimum wage. I can't even see the microcracks unless I use a magnifying glass.
Of course nobody is going to inspect ALL the holes at the factory. How many times do I have to repeat the idea of *random* sampling? Further, nobody expects the guys crating the parts to have the responsibility for QA inspections...that's *QA's* job (unless you don't have any QAEs).

As for Dan's comment about rehashing what went wrong...I have yet to see a real, honest-to-god assessment by Van's about all of the failures AND how they're going to prevent similar failures in the future. All I heard today about QA was "we'll be looking at that". Gee, I sure hope so. I can think of a half a dozen *other* areas to look at, too (e.g., what does the contract with the LCP vendor say about who takes responsibility for mistakes, who approves changes to the tooling processes, etc.? Those are management and legal issues...).

If they don't get serious and put on big-boy pants with these concerns, the next problem that goes undetected and/or unaddressed may end up killing someone and, ultimately, the company. This may be a hobby for most of us, but as someone said...these little planes go just fast enough and just high enough to kill you.

There’s no doubt in my mind that things will change at Vans in the future. Between the corrosion Issue and this LCP issue there have been some hard lessons learned which have been very expensive to say the least. We also know that there are fewer people working at vans as a result of the financial situation, so it’s impacted employee livelihood as well. Right now they are in the middle of bankruptcy and need to focus on activities that raise cash in order for them to continue to exist, which we all need to happen. They aren’t totally in charge of everything they do, as they have to answer to the court for everything right now. It won’t do any good right now to beat them up for what they should have been doing. They already recognize that. For now we should all be cheering them on for every part, kit, sub-kit, or backorder that goes out the door. At least that is getting back on track.
I personally saw the long faces when I was out there. They are human, just like us. They don’t want to fail and are trying really hard to right the ship. This whole thing has been tough on everyone, from Van, Van’s employees, and thousands of customers. But small steps are happening, and getting better weekly. It won’t change overnight, but it will change, because it has to. Give it time. They are listening.

Vic

In the end it comes down to an individual decision to use -or not use- LCP components.
For those that are annal in seeking perfection in the quality of their work and the aircraft they build I would expect them to not use LCP whereas for some the concerns about LCP will be some way down the quality list as Vic commented . The irony of the kitplane video discussion is that I would place a small bet that at least one of the four participants would not use LCP in their own personal projects (I did say a small bet).
As a final observation - Vans management team could be said to have got into financial trouble because, while it had good capable people they all lacked financial management training and experience. Similarly, the four folks on the video round table all had exceptional resumes and contributed their own point of view to the discussion - but - If there had been a metallurgist with the same level of impeccable resume contributing to the discussion it would have carried more weight and not left me wondering if I would be the only person not prepared to use LCP assemblies.
And that is something I don’t have to explain to your cat.
Regardless of all that a metallurgist would have had to say, in the end he would say, but it is the evidence acquired from testing that counts, not my or anyone else’s opinion.
All of the people in the video were making statements based on actually seeing the results of that testing, not just opinion based on their credentials.

Regardless of all that a metallurgist would have had to say, in the end he would say, but it is the evidence acquired from testing that counts, not my or anyone else’s opinion.
All of the people in the video were making statements based on actually seeing the results of that testing, not just opinion based on their credentials.
A lot of time consuming important work done by a small team of dedicated people that shows the acceptability of performance of LCP parts under a range of operating conditions. Based on the data presented would I fly in an RV with LCP - yes. Would I build one with LCP - probably not if I had the choice of having punched parts. Did I feel that I was being gaslighted by the participants on the panel - not at all. Would I have felt more confidence in the opinions provided if there had been a metallurgist and stress analyst on the review team agreeing with the conclusion - absolutely.

A lot of time consuming important work done by a small team of dedicated people that shows the acceptability of performance of LCP parts under a range of operating conditions. Based on the data presented would I fly in an RV with LCP - yes. Would I build one with LCP - probably not if I had the choice of having punched parts. Did I feel that I was being gaslighted by the participants on the panel - not at all. Would I have felt more confidence in the opinions provided if there had been a metallurgist and stress analyst on the review team agreeing with the conclusion - absolutely.
And there you have it... Someone that appears to be looking at all this with an even hand, yes some skepticism, but let's face it, this subject warrants a bit, no? The key statement being, "would I fly in an RV with LCP - yes. Would I build one with LCP - probably not"

The irony of the kitplane video discussion is that I would place a small bet that at least one of the four participants would not use LCP in their own personal projects (I did say a small bet).
For the record, I am building another RV-8 and yes, it will have LCP in it....blue parts for sure, and might have a few red parts depending on replacement schedule.
Did I feel that I was being gaslighted by the participants on the panel - not at all. Would I have felt more confidence in the opinions provided if there had been a metallurgist and stress analyst on the review team agreeing with the conclusion - absolutely.

Yes, it would have been really cool if they could have had a metallurgist join us on the panel. When they invited us up to Aurora for the briefing and tour, it may not have occurred to them at the time - after all, they had already been involved closely with the 3rd-party testing lab, and talked with FAA "experts" as well. They basically wanted our feedback on the briefing presentation before they shot their long video of that presentation. The idea of the round-table discussion video came up later among our group, at the end of the briefing - it wasn't something that Van's orchestrated.

But if it helps, I did take a graduate-level class in metallurgy during my undergrad work. "Influence of Microstructure on Engineering Properties of Metals". The prof was habitually voted "best teacher" on campus, so I wanted to take a class from him, and I knew I would have occasions to apply materials knowledge in my career. High-speed wind tunnel models have tremendously high loads and the facilities impose requirements for large factors of safety, and of course the outer shape is constrained by the design, so it often takes exotic materials and careful structural design to get enough strength in the models. I have found that material-science background to be very useful throughout my career. So it is a little bit more than "I played one on TV". ;)

Last edited:
Historical experience (some of it painful) taught us the simple short-hand “(all) cracks in aluminum are bad” embodied in FAA policy and industry best practices (including Van’s prior guidance). I’m glad we’ve used good engineering evidence to take a first step on from “all cracks are bad” to “some dimple cracks don’t grow in accelerated life testing.” What I’d like to know more about is:
1). How do we differentiate benign cracks from malignant ones ?
2). Does real-world in-use experience confirm the laboratory testing ?
These answers are too much to ask of Vans (and will take time to confirm). But from my point of view there remains some additional (probably small, maybe immaterial) risk to cracked LCP parts over proven punched and deburred parts. Given the uncertainty, I can see reasonable people coming to different conclusions about what they want in *their* airplane.

I personally saw the long faces when I was out there. They are human, just like us. They don’t want to fail and are trying really hard to right the ship. This whole thing has been tough on everyone, from Van, Van’s employees, and thousands of customers. But small steps are happening, and getting better weekly. It won’t change overnight, but it will change, because it has to. Give it time. They are listening.

Vic
Very well said Vic. Methinks this facet gets lost in the overall noise too often.

Scott, you are CORRECT!

The actual being there and seeing and handling parts, along with seeing all the tests and samples (coupons), we formed opinions. Individually and collectively. Including OUTSIDE of dialog with the people at Van's. All four people on the video have engineering backgrounds along with varying levels of experience with RV construction and flying.
But even with all of our "experiences and backgrounds, we "got smarter".

Someone questioned if at least one of us would NOT use LCP. I think that EACH of us would fly planes with LCP. There might be varying levels of work each of us would be willing to expend if we had LCP to replace. For the record, my current project does NOT have any LCP to replace.

<<<SNIP>>>

Vic
And TIRED faces. It was clear to me that people are working almost literally "around the clock" and have been for SOME time. To have someone question your integrity and intellectual capacity after 50 years of "leading" work in an industry is tough on anyone.

We ALL have made a mistake somewhere in our careers. Hopefully we were given the opportunity to correct it and learn from it. I would be willing to bet that one out of everyone's "Top Three" companies has had a major mistake for which, given TIME, they corrected and learned a LOT for the future.

NOTE: In the process of doing their best to recover from this and bring some level of satisfaction to the most people (within their limits), Van's will become a different company from the one it was 30 years ago. Or even 10 years ago. Some of these things will be good for the company but some won't be liked.

And TIRED faces. It was clear to me that people are working almost literally "around the clock" and have been for SOME time. To have someone question your integrity and intellectual capacity after 50 years of "leading" work in an industry is tough on anyone.
Well said, CB

Back