What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit price increase.

macintron

Happy holidays to all!

Does anyone know what the percentage price will be or what the actual kits will be priced at after the announced February increase?

The reason I ask is because we have finally settled on building a 10. However we originally had planned to have the garage/shop ready in June. So I'm not sure if we should buy a kit when we are not ready to receive and take advantage of the lower price. Or wait until the garage/shop is "ready" and I have accumulated more of the needed tools and have a workable space....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Typically it's about 3%. If you are just buying the empennage kit, go ahead. It's easy to store until you are ready to begin. Plus, you won't have to wait for it to arrive if it's already here.

I spoke to Vans last week and they didn't have the final numbers yet but the person I spoke with said it may be as high as 5%...

If buying emp, wing, fuse and finish at same time like I did then 5% really helps. Also saves a bunch of shipping.

If emp only then not so much and get it ordered at least two weeks before Van's lead time. Same goes for anything during the build...order earlier as most times something got held up. Hartzell prop was the one that showed in a week with two week lead time.

Enjoy the build. It is great flying machine!

Thanks all for the feedback. I am only going to buy the empenage this year. So I think I might as well save the 3% or 5% and put it towards the panel. Also I live about 15 minutes from the factory so shipping costs will only be for tools.

At any rate I think I read somewhere that you have 30 days to inventory a kit. Is that the case?

I am really eager to start this project. From flying quite a few hour in a 7 I know these are exceptional flying machines so I can only conclude the 10 won't be an exception.

If you open the crate carefully, you can inventory and put everything back and then store it. Besides, you want to open it to get your plans and read them. Or find places to stash the bigger parts and go ahead and get some parts bins and sort the parts bags out - it will give you a way to work on the project before you actually have a shop set up and give you some familiarity with the bits and pieces.

If you open the crate carefully, you can inventory and put everything back and then store it. Besides, you want to open it to get your plans and read them. Or find places to stash the bigger parts and go ahead and get some parts bins and sort the parts bags out - it will give you a way to work on the project before you actually have a shop set up and give you some familiarity with the bits and pieces.

I guess I do need some new reading material :D

Welcome to the club! I'm building a -10 just up the road from you in Tigard near Bridgeport Village. Let me know if you want to stop by some time.

I will take you on that offer. It will give me more ideas on setting up the RV manufacturing plant.

Back