What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Financing?

Craig23

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking ahead to the time when I'll have to go into some serious debt with my project, and I wanted to find out what banks or companies people are using to finance their kits. Have you been happy with these lenders? What kind of rates and terms can I expect to find? Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig Schwartz
Santa Rosa, CA
RV-8 Wings

Good Luck

I got a equity line of credit against my home and drew on it when needed. I simply did not want to go out looking for finacing each time I had to buy something and I certainly had no money as a working man to just do it without financing. I did this many (started in 1996) years ago so the rate information would be meaningless to you now.

Bob Axsom said:
I got a equity line of credit against my home and drew on it when needed. I simply did not want to go out looking for finacing each time I had to buy something and I certainly had no money as a working man to just do it without financing. I did this many (started in 1996) years ago so the rate information would be meaningless to you now.

Do what Bob says if you have a home and any equity whatsoever. Take out a home equity loan. Your interest rate will almost certainly be lower AND all of the interest will automatically be tax deductible in most cases.

Still on the pay-as-you-go basis... for now. Good luck.

Steve

Last edited:
HELOC for me

I'm one of those lucky homeowners who bought 8 years ago in a booming market. So my house is helping me buy my airplane, which is appropriate because I chose it based on the excellent workshop space.

I got a home equity line of credit in 12/2004. Prime plus zero, so it's quite affordable right now. Plus, the interest is tax deductible if you meet some conditions, which I do.

Whenever I have a big expense (QB kit, shipping it to my home are the two big ones for now) I write a check on the HELOC. It's sort of like a credit card...a revolving line of credit. You have to make a minimum payment of 1.5% of the outstanding balance every month. We also have the option of writing a check for a fixed term loan. Every time you write a check, you can choose which of the two ways you want to pay for it. So far, we've been using the revolving line of credit.

Of course, having that wide-open credit cuts two ways: I don't have to go to the bank every time I want to buy a big part of the kit, but my wife doesn't have to either when she wants to buy an upgrade for the house!

Back