What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Building order

spriteah

Ok, I know this topic has appeared several times. I'm looking for advice from the people that have completed most of the plane.

I am nearing completion of the wings. On my garage floor I have the Emp and the Fuse in boxes.

What is the best order to continue on? I recall that if I build the fuse you get to a point when you need the Emp (is that right). But is it easier to build the fuse as much as you can then move to the Emp?

All comments appreciated.

Jim
Geelong
Australia.

Depends upn storage

If you have lots of storage, I agree with Marty, big pieces gone and you can set the whole tailcone out of the way then. The bigger pieces make you feel like you are getting lots done. The fuse takes some time.

John Bender

Thats right

Besides, you can't complete the fuselage without a completed tailcone. Do the tailcone next.

If you were just starting out, I would recommend assembling the Emmpenage Kit first. It allows you to hone your building skills in an open enviornment without spoiling some expensive parts if you should make a "woops".
Since you are doing the Wing Kit first, you should still consider doing the Emp. next so you will have the Tail Cone to complete the Fuselage.
The Fuselage is the most complex kit. Lots of small parts and tight places to work in. Also, it seems that the Plans Book becomes less detailed when describing tasks to be done as you progress through the kits.
Good luck with your kit.

Art Pennanen

Fuse

It is only my opion but I am building the fuse now ; have already built the tail cone and wings. The fuse is by far the most diffcult and time consumeing to build. So if I had it to do again I would build the Fuse first then wings or tail cone.

Jack Richards N787JR:):):)

Hi Jack,

What you said makes good sense, but keep in mind that if you study the plans a little you may see that since Van's planned to have us build the tail first the instructions are in much greater detail. This is a good way to teach us simple good practice skills and in later chapters they just assume that we have learned these good practice skills and will use them for a task even with out being told to step by step. As an example in the first chapter for assembly of the tail the installation of a nut plate is a very step by step instruction and in the fuselage chapters it is a simple "install the three nut plates called out in figure 2". We had been taught and we learned to do it so we did not have to be led in fine detail. If you were to start with the fuselage you would mis-out on this training and it may make it a good bit harder to do things right.

Just my thoughts on it. I might add that I have seen this training help a man who has never been able to assemble his kids toys, make good progress on the tail kit, with a good bit of help from friends, but he is making progress and will in time build himself a fine airplane.

Best regards,
Vern

Back