What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Arrives Today!

doctornigel

I am patiently waiting for the shipper to bring the empennage for my RV-10!!

I have mostly prepped my garage for it, cleaned it out,banished my old SUV to the driveway, air-conditioned it (I live in Florida), have two new work benches, got most of the large tools (Avery and Cleveland will deliver the rest next week). I still have to get my new compressor wired-up (it's 230V), but I have a noisy oil-less as a back-up. I took a builders course a few weeks ago. Used to rebuild engines in high school and do most of my home and office maintenance, I'm a dentist so tools and figuring out new skills doesn't scare me (it may scare my patients, though!)

Any words of advice or encouragement are appreciated, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks. :D :D (pre RV grin)

Holy cow, Nigel. Congratulations!

It's wonderful moment when that delivery truck backs into the driveway - felt like Christmas morning for me.

Welcome to the fun and nice meeting you!

Best,
Doug

doctornigel said:
Any words of advice or encouragement are appreciated

Advice? Enjoy the Process!

Encouragement? You've already taken the toughest step - gettign started!

doctornigel said:
Any words of advice or encouragement are appreciated, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks. :D :D (pre RV grin)

Do something each day, even if it is nothing more than sweeping out the shop.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Lycoming O-360-A1A, Catto 3 blade, Slider, starting to work on the panel

If you have kids, get them involved in the parts unwrapping / inventory process when the crates arrive. It's like Christmas for them, too!

Un loading

You will need help un-loading the crates if it is a full kit, or the tub and wings if a QB.

Best advice I can give is to make a lot of notes as you inventory everything. And figure out a logical way to store things----------
All the bags of small parts will boggle your mind, and they just wont make sense at the time.-----------and then later you will find yourself saying "well, I think I remember seeing this doodad when I was un loading------now where did I put it?"

I used a lot of plastic bins from WalMart for the larger parts, and disposable food containers for the small ones. Use a Sharpie---oh, yes, buy a box of them, fine tip---to mark on the container what is in it.

Good luck.

This is probably a little late but your kit will probably be delivered on an 18 wheel semi with only one guy. This can be problem if you don't have anyone to help unload. It will be just the two of you to unload the crate from that high simi trailer. It's heavy.
delivery01.jpg

In the futuer, a better approach to kit deliver it to rent a 5 X 9 Ramp Trailer for $30 per day, go to the shipping company depot and have them load it on the trailer. They will load it on your trailer with a forklift and then you have all day where you can unload and inventory the kit contents while the box is still on the trailer. You can then use the trailer to carry away all the excess packing material. Keep the wood though, after all, you did pay for it and you can use it to make the many jigs and fixtures throughout the project. You will also save about $100 bucks on the depot delivery off the home delivery option. This was the case with ABF, who delivered all of my kits.

Mike S said:
You will need help un-loading the crates if it is a full kit, or the tub and wings if a QB.

Best advice I can give is to make a lot of notes as you inventory everything. And figure out a logical way to store things----------
Excellent advice! Store them out of the way where they won't get damaged. Here is an example how I stored my wing kit parts that allowed me to still put the car in the garage--while I wasn't working it.

wings05.jpg

Mike S said:
All the bags of small parts will boggle your mind, and they just wont make sense at the time.-----------and then later you will find yourself saying "well, I think I remember seeing this doodad when I was un loading------now where did I put it?"
Yup! Been there, done that!

Back