What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

King 197 problem

Mr Charles

Well Known Member
after installing a new Garmin 327 transponder, and tracing out a mini-pin jack (music input for flightcom intercom), cleaning up some wiring "droops" with zip-ties, I went out for a short flight...and now for some reason, my King KY 197 radio is having "issues!" I never touched any of the wiring, radio or anything! Anyway, the frequencies tuned to active and standby keep flip flopping on there own...I have messed with flip flop button, and it seems oK, and also, the 25K selector now is not activating the 25K for tuning. Any suggestions anyone?
Charles

Check that the pin...

...that does the remote flip/flop is not accidently shorted to ground.

It's pin # 12 on the KY-97 version and is called "Remote Transfer"

Just checked, pins 6 & 7 are the ones on the KY-197

197 update

After further checking, I discovered the flip-flop button felt "weird" and opened up the radio case. The plastic four foot assembly that holds the switch was loose, the foam pad above the switch itself was displaced, and I believe the switch was contacting the metal case and shorting across...I have repaired, but not yet installed and checked.

Assuming that takes care of the frequency switching problem, anyone have guess on the 25K pull out knob that stopped working? I sprayed the slide switch contacts with cleaner, and mechanically, all seems fine. Could the shorting flip flop cause this?
Thanks for the feedback...
Charles

Flip Flop feature

Mr Alexander...if I interpret correctly, my 197 has the ability to add a remote switch for activating the flip flop? Second question...do many wire in a switch for that and if so, to what benefit? Seems without remote tuning capability, you still have to reach to the radio to tune anyway. And in the 4, you barely have to lift to your fingers from the stick to reach the radio:)
Charles

Back