What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keyed Door Locks

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi to all,
Just finishing my doors and would like to have keyed lock to secure the doors when parked outside. I have seen them somewhere but can't seem to find them again.
Thanks again for any input.

These are the ones I used from Steve at Iflyrv10.com

Very happy with them and the install was easy.

http://capsteve.wix.com/iflyrv10#!__flush-door-lock

I had these (and sold them on VAF) and replaced them with the ones from ACS. They were a little shorter and makes the door installation a bit easier. Also, you can get them keyed the same as the ignition through special order. (no extra charge, although you do have to order four locks when you only need three)

Ignition and two locks - You have to call ACS to get the special order for the ignition and four locks.

Since the locks only keep honest people honest, I only wanted to carry around one key.

bob

(no extra charge, although you do have to order four locks when you only need three)

Bob,

Since they make you buy 4, to get them keyed the same, could you use 1 for each door, one for ignition and one for the baggage door? (4 total)

Bob,

Since they make you buy 4, to get them keyed the same, could you use 1 for each door, one for ignition and one for the baggage door? (4 total)

No, the ignition has additional circuits, since it controls both mags.

The door locks are standard physical door locks that don't have any electrical capabilities at all.

you can get them keyed the same as the ignition through special order. (no extra charge, although you do have to order four locks when you only need three)

Since the locks only keep honest people honest, I only wanted to carry around one key.

bob

Actually you only need 2 locks, baggage and one door. You can lock the other door from inside for free. Drill a small hole in the inner door handle-----straight down with the handle in the lock position. The hole needs go go through the inner alum bar that forms the release button. Bend up a short piece of wire that will drop into the hole, and you have locked the door. And, it weighs less than a lock assemble, and is quicker/easier to install.

Here is my solution. Using the spare lock that came with my ignition switch.

158739d.jpg

29wsapf.jpg

It stops the button from being pressed. I thought it might be better than someone trying to force the handle.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
I forget who posted about pulling the door handles and stashing them in the baggage area. That's my route this time. Nobody's gonna break the door handle when it's flat out gone. It won't work with the polished aftermarket handles though. They have set screws.

1/4" X 36" wooden dowel with tapered end installed in rear square tube of inside handle from baggage door. This prevents door pin from being pushed in. A short 3" piece for copilot side is installed first. Cheap, lightweight and it works.

I know you asked about keys, but are you *sure* you want to force a dedicated thief to smash out your plexi and rip open the door??

I was thinking the same thing. No locks on my doors, other than the baggage because that's how it operates. If they are going to steal the avionics, there's nothing I can do except note that they will probably render then inop unless they are careful and I doubt a thief would have time for that. And with the VP-200, they can't start the engine without the code, so I don't think the Barefoot Bandit would be joyriding in my aircraft. Anything else in the cabin is relatively replaceable, compared to potential damage to my doors and cabin exterior.

Back