What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping the cowl on

ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
I've found myself in a somewhat interesting predicament. While my plane was sitting on the ramp, someone decided to avail themselves of the camlocks that attach the upper cowl to the firewall. The rest of the cowl uses piano hinges. Anyone have any thoughts on how to safely fly home sans camlocks? Duct tape?

Last edited:
NO on the duct tape. The heat turns the adhesive to goo and is very ineffective structurally. How about rush order or try to borrow new camlocks?

Unfortunately, I'm not with the plane and I didn't build it so I have no clue what size of camlocks to get. I'm flying out to pick it up on Tuesday so I have time to put together a rush order of something.

YIKES!!

Good grief Kevin!! Duct tape fully wrapped completely around many times & different positions would probably work. Will leave nasty residue on hot cowl. Where did this happen???? Unless in the doolies, I'd wait on new fastners while sitting in plane fully armed.

This is a terrible story. Please give more details. This happen on trip, home base, etc. Talk about a mood spoiler during preflight!

Good luck,

Deal Fair

This is a terrible story. Please give more details. This happen on trip, home base, etc. Talk about a mood spoiler during preflight!

Fortunately, I'm not stranded anywhere. It was sitting on the ramp in Henderson, NV (home base for quite a while) and when I went to take it in for the conditional before bringing it down to San Diego, I noticed they were gone. I had a commercial plane to catch so I couldn't research camlocks at the time(and now I know they come in lots of sizes). I've also had my non-locking fuel caps stolen before (in North Las Vegas). I don't think I'm a bad person but it would seem karma disagrees.

Do adjustable camlocks exist? If not, is there a "safe bet" on a length(s) to order?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on your plight. Sorry I'm no help on camlocks as I know just enough to be dangerous.

Good luck Kevin!

Deal Fair

I think if you needed to make a flight to secure the aircraft, Duct Tape would be just fine. Better to need to clean some adhesive residue than to come out and find that the next step was to remove your engine. Better yet, find Gaffer's tape, which is much more durable, less likely to fall apart on you, and tends to leave less residue on removal.

Worst case, the tape comes off. The piano hinge will keep the cowling from coming off the airplane, but you'll lose some cooling effectiveness unless you have a plenum. Slow down, land, apply more tape, keep going.

Aweful!

That is dreadful that someone would do that. Many airports have cameras, I would investigate to see if there is anyway the perps could be caught.
That is a federal offense from my recollection.

That's not fun. I will include that in my special airports list. Today camlocs, tomorrow SL40....

Camlocks and gas caps? That is bizarre, weird, and troubling. I'd take a really close look at everything else since they might have helped themself to some locknuts too.

Hope you have law enforcement involved.

A few wraps of 2" wide fiberglass tape all the way around should hold it in place for the trip...

cowling

reach in through oil door and put in some screws in on top with large washers on top and nuts on bottom with small washers that wont pull out

Well ...

If it is just the fasteners between the rear of the upper cowl and the fuselage, can you fly at less than 120 kts ... the Archer only has two latches on each side holding the upper cowl on... I know what I would do but you are in a hostile envirement - sabotage is not out of the question - there are bad people out there.

Camlocks have been around a long time. Any A&P or AI should be able to help you identify the one you need. Special tool is required to install. If you fly it without camlocks installed, be sure the screws behind spinner are installed. It would be risky to fly without the cowl fully attached (i.e. camlocks installed). Good luck.

If it is just the fasteners between the rear of the upper cowl and the fuselage, can you fly at less than 120 kts ... the Archer only has two latches on each side holding the upper cowl on... I know what I would do but you are in a hostile envirement - sabotage is not out of the question - there are bad people out there.
On the Piper, there is two slots in the back holding the cowl IIRC.

I'm in the camp that would put some tape, fly it home, and deal with it there. However, I would check the airplane carefully because that's such a strange thing to steal. I wonder if they were trying to get under the cowl and didn't know how to work the hinges.

Sorry to hear of your plight.

Not heard of any theft problem on our field before this. If you (or anyone else on this forum) gets stuck in Henderson, NV, give me a call at 702 two 78 0 two seven 3. Lots of builders in our chapter and many RVers. Always willing to help.

Back