What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping overhead console removable

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
My two piece overhead console runs from baggage bulkhead all the way to the front (air conditioning flow). The rear 1/2 is permanently fiberglassed in.

I'd like to keep the front 1/2 removable for future access. The front 1/2 is already covered with headliner and has a 2" +/- lip on each side for mounting. Currently have overhead light and gps wiring running inside tunnel. I'd like to avoid an access panel as being able to remove the whole front half will look cleaner.

Is there a recommended way to attach? Velcro? Sheet metal screws?
My concern with the sheet metal screws is that they would start to loosen after several install/removals.
My ideal would be some sort of hard nut floxxed into the canopy top (not all the way through) but I'm not sure about drilling more holes in canopy.

I'm leaning towards some click bond posts which would be the least invasive.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL

overhead console attach

I had some help with this but we epoxied on several carbon fiber attach points/brackets...........and riveted nut plates into those so the overhead actually screws into those attach points rather than the cabin top itself.;)

maybe take a length of sheet metal and make a "Z" bracket the length. or take thin piece of aluminum box stock cut 1 edge off so you have a C.

then match drill the console to the bracket for Dzus fasteners

then glass it or rivit it to the ceiling

Back