What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping mice out with ?Mouse Skirts?

riobison

Well Known Member
Keeping mice out with ?Mouse Skirts?

I had seen somewhere that there was around each wheel of the plane where there was like an aluminum rectangular skirt about 10? high or so and flush with the ground. With this being smooth I have my doubts if the mice could climb over it to get to the plane. No more need of moth balls and traps in or around the plane.

Has anyone seen anything like this and know where to buy them?

I don?t know what they are called but we could call them ?Mouse Skirts?

Thanks

Tim

I bought a cheap roll of thin aluminum roofing flashing material from Lowes and made my own dams to go around the landing gear to keep rodents out.

what are all the points of entry?

I'm no rodent expert, but around our field, folks seem to see a lot of evidence that they travels up the tiedown ropes, so I've installed a big plastic 'dish' ( ice cream bucket lid!) just before the ring that attaches to the tail hook.

so, how high or far can they jump?

Wow, sounds like a mouse olympics. What a great visual. But not as good as the mouse paratroopers that I'm envisioning. Or a little ninja mouse army storming through the hangar door......

Seriously though, don't a lot of folks put moth balls around the gear legs and tie down ropes? I've seen people use Irish Spring soap too. Or other smelly mouse repellent.

Or just get a cat! I mean who doesn't love paw prints on their canopy?

This winter my wife picked up a moving blanket from the corner of the hanger for me to use to crawl under the RV. A mouse jumped from the blanket onto my wife and ran down her leg, so I would say a Florida mouse can jump at least a foot or more. Your mouse may vary. :)

Your mouse may vary, funny!
But I bet your wife jumped much further.

This winter my wife picked up a moving blanket from the corner of the hanger for me to use to crawl under the RV. A mouse jumped from the blanket onto my wife and ran down her leg, so I would say a Florida mouse can jump at least a foot or more. Your mouse may vary. :)

How far can the wife jump....:D

In our end of AZ pack rats are destructive and people with rented hangars with poor door seals do use the skirts inside their hangars.

A piece of wide aluminum or galvanized flashing with a velcro closure seems to do the trick, and inside the hangar tie-down ropes are not a problem.

The little b***ers have done a few hundred $$ damage to one of our cars, and a lot more to other cars on the Airpark...:(

Back