What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

K1000-08 Nutplates

JohnF

Well Known Member
I have a decent start on the fuselage. The K1000-08 nut plates are driving me crazy. When you attempt to rivet them the dimple for the #8 screw head appears to be too high that prevents the nutplate from properly seating, and that dimple acts as a pivot point so that when one ear of the nutplate is riveted the opposite side raises and prevents proper seating for riveting.

I would have liked some other nutplate with a larger center "opening" that would allow the #8 dimple to fully seat when the nutplate is put against it.

Am I doing something wrong?

K1000-08

I agree that K1100-08 should be used, yet Van's plans call for K1000 in many places where that call-out is just plain wrong. And its that way thoughout section 21. I received a revised set of fuselage plans yet that same mis-designation runs through section 21.

I am going to use what is right even if the plans specify otherwise and drop a note to Vans. thanks for confirming things.

K1000 Nutplates

As the old lady on Saturday Night Live used to say, "Forget it"

The problem is in my head...the plans are OK but I guess I am not.

Disregard my post

JohhF

As the old lady on Saturday Night Live used to say, "Forget it"

The problem is in my head...the plans are OK but I guess I am not.

Disregard my post

JohhF

Nothing wrong with your head John, those nutplates can be a bear. Just come up with a "system" that works for you.

Go ahead

Dimpling nutplates is fine.

After dimpling use a pair of pliers to straighten the bow out.

Better technique:
Use K1100 nutplates
or
Use Oops rivets and machine countersink alum.

Back