What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just got my wings!

llavalle

Well Known Member
Today I picked up my wings at the Montréal ABF terminal.

The crates were in perfect condition and the crew at the terminal were very helpfull in helping me loading the 2 big crates onto my trailer!

Since a thread like this one is useless without pictures, here are some :D

Loaded in the trailer
DSC03721.JPG

At home, just unloaded
DSC03722.JPG

Inventory almost completed, the hardware is 1/3 done
DSC03729.JPG

I really have to count all of them, 1 by 1 :eek:
DSC03728.JPG

And here's a webcam shot taken ~2h ago while I was inventoring the hardware bagS
rv2009-05-07_221013.jpg

So far, everything is accounted for... except my 2 HID landing lights kit... they are B/O :(

Now I'm going to sleep, I have to go to work tomorrow... can't call in sick, my boss knows I just got my wings :D

Philippe, Great minds must think alike. I have my bandsaw, sander, buffers, and grinders on a table just like yours, but mine is on castering wheels so I can get it out of the way if I need to. I don't have A/C though! :mad:

Have your boss come over and help, then you can call in sick once in awhile. ;)

Wings

I notice on the list of parts and such that there is a 15 oz. coffee mug and a grey t-shirt included!

Cool Beans.

Philippe, Great minds must think alike. I have my bandsaw, sander, buffers, and grinders on a table just like yours, but mine is on castering wheels so I can get it out of the way if I need to. I don't have A/C though! :mad:

Have your boss come over and help, then you can call in sick once in awhile. ;)

Great minds, exactly :D

I've just been given the A/C... I need to install it but right now it's still cold in here so I don't need it.

I notice on the list of parts and such that there is a 15 oz. coffee mug and a grey t-shirt included!

Cool Beans.

Yep, The mug and tshirt, you have sharp eyes!

Congrats!

Congrats on your new acquisition, Philippe. Once it's all sorted, the ritual deburring begins. Enjoy!

...Yep, The mug and tshirt, you have sharp eyes!
Hey, I didn't get a mug or tshirt with mine. Van gave something away? He must not be running things any longer.

Congrats on the wing kit! Let the real fun begin!

I didn't either....

Hey, I didn't get a mug or tshirt with mine. Van gave something away? He must not be running things any longer.

Congrats on the wing kit! Let the real fun begin!

No mug or t-shirt for me either! Maybe in the fuse kit which I should be getting the end of May:)

Congrats on the progress! Now you get to build 2 of everything and I mean everything!

Hmmm....

I thought by your title you meant your PPL! Ha!

Cold up there? You mean it's below 70 somewhere?

Congrats on the wings!

Cold up there? You mean it's below 70 somewhere?

Yep, it's 62 right now... and the forecast calls for 46-50 for tomorrow. We've had some hot days 2 weeks ago (85-86) but that did not last for long. I'm not that far up north (I'm around 500km north of New York) so it still gets pretty hot in summer.

Wings

My wings are due to ship on 22 June so I'm not too far behind you. Looks like it took a while to inventory. My challenge is space. I have room to set the crates and build the wing, but very little room to empty the crates and spread out the parts for easy access. I do have some space on the walls, but based on Van's crating info we're talking about 400 pounds of parts. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, would be interested on any ideas regarding what additional planning should be done at this early stage regarding components not provided in the kit, such as wing tip lights, antenaes, etc.
Thanks

You are right, 400pounds of parts. I'm also limited by space. I have a small 1 car garage (11' x 17'. I was able to get both crates in by moving my work table out!

Inventory took close to 7h

I started by unpacking the longer one. I took the spars out and put them on the ground along the outside wall. Same for the rear spars and various aluminium angles. After that was done, I cut the crate in 2 and dissasembled it..

The other crate was then opened. I got eveything out and put that on plastic shelves I bought at a local hardware store. This includes flaps skins, aileron skins, tank & leading edge skins, various doubler plates, ribs, powder coated parts, etc etc.

Everything that was not needed for some time was moved to my basement (wingtip, wingtip lenses, landing lights, fuselage center section, fuselage longerons).

For now, I kept the big wing skins inside the crate that is now vertical along the wall (in front of the spars). I'll fabricate a rack on the wall to put the big skins out of the way.

The first main spar (left) is on the table, I'm working on it.

I'll try to take a picture tonight and post it here. The ones I posted here were taken before eveything was inventoried.

Here you go :

My current setup is as follow (made the wing skin rack tonight)

DSC03793.JPG

DSC03792.JPG

On the left is one table with my belt sander, the hardware cases (needed 3 for the wings) and the toolbox. On its left (not visible) are the various pipes included in the kit (aileron pushrods, & counterweights). On its right, I have a 4ft wide plastic shelf. On to of it, I put the tank baffles, the aileron and flap skins and all four leading edge skins. At the bottom, I have my back riveting plate. The other level has the wing ribs and the gap fairings. On the 3rd level are the leading edges skins for the flaps and aileron and various small parts. On the 4th is my shop laptop(also used as a webcam) and my small radio.

At the back I have another table with my band saw and my drill press. The compressor is underneath.

Behind the access door, we can see 2 other skins (smaller wing skins) along with the aileron and flaps spars.(you can see blue film by the door's window)

On the right wall, there is my bench grinder and my big rack for the big skins. You can see the DRDT2 sitting on the ground by the right spar. Behind the spar are various aluminium angles. One of the wing's rear spar is on top of the heater (that not in use this time of the year).

This is the smaller shelf on the right :
DSC03795.JPG

You have (starting from the top), z brackets, nose ribs, tank ribs, doubelr plates, aileron and flap hinges, aileron and flaps ribs...

It's not a big garage. To give you an idea of size, the table is exactly 2ft x 8ft

DSC03605.JPG

For now, I'll be able to build the wings. The fuselage is another matter... I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in...

Thanks

I appreciate your input and will make some adjustments in my garage as a result. I knew it would take a while to inventory the wing kit, but I had no idea it would take as long as seven hours. Good luck with the wings! I'll be in touch again as we go through this phase of construction.
Frank Bush

phil,
did you have anything added to your wing kit order when placed with Van's?
we are getting ready to place ours and wondered if there were any other things needed while building that don't come with the wing kit.(we'll get some grommets for the wiring holes too)
i see you ordered your lights at the same time. have you got them? what did you go with?
thanks

I added 2x 50w HID Landing Lights. The standard ones from Van's (DuckWorks). They are pricey ($250ea) but I've always found landing lights to be poor on small airplanes. HIDs don't have a filament and are less prone to failure caused by vibration.

I also added the following :
-2x Float Fuel sender
-Proseal Sealant Gun
-Fuel Tank Test kit
-Van's RV9A Mug & TShirt :D
-12ft extra fuel line, only $16
-50ft roll of 5/8 duct for the wings, $15

Now I realized I also need the following :
-Pre-made fuel pickup. Van's sells them for $15ea and I feel they are better than using a slotted fuel line.
-Tie Down rings

I plan to use a more std pitot tube instead of the default bendend aluminium tube. Probably a Dynon... I need to order that as well as the bracket.

I also ordered some Alodine from Aircraft Spruce Canada. I'll only alodine C/S on the spar and some small 6061 parts that are not alclad.

I did not get proseal since this stuff has a shelf life.

thanks for that. quite a bit of extra things by the sounds of it. i hope we can at least get the wings on order this week.
we are planning on an inspection soon for our tail section. we want to have that completed and checked before we get into the wings. i know it's added expense but we feel it's good to do for the first section. that way, if there are things we need to watch for, change in our approach,etc. we'll do that before the wings.
adios for now

we are planning on an inspection soon for our tail section. we want to have that completed and checked before we get into the wings. i know it's added expense but we feel it's good to do for the first section. that way, if there are things we need to watch for, change in our approach,etc. we'll do that before the wings.
adios for now

This is a good idea. I was given this advice from another builder's group (Ottawa's RVAtors). One of the guy offered to come and visit. The guy is building a RV8 and had 1 MD-RA inspection before. He gave me a couple of pointers and hints. It was a really good idea.

Back