What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just a few spins

Makes My Head Spin

Very nice video. Love the perspective from the head-mounted camera, though I'm amazed that you were able to hold your head so steady! Thanks for posting it.

Nice video

Very nice video.

I have a couple of questions.

Where are you based? It looks like beautiful country.

In the video It seems like there is often a lot of panel glare reflected on the canopy. Do you notice it in flight? If so, do you ever wish you had panted the panel differently?

Panel...

Very nice video.

I have a couple of questions.

Where are you based? It looks like beautiful country.

In the video It seems like there is often a lot of panel glare reflected on the canopy. Do you notice it in flight? If so, do you ever wish you had panted the panel differently?

Based in the Pacific Northwest at KAWO.

The glare is enhanced with a camera; not so much with Mark I eyeballs... I have considered pulling it and repainting it flat black. It is not a big deal to pull the panel but to match the color on the control angle support and redo all of the lettering is...

If I were to do it over I would go with flat black.

Stephen,
Man, you make me sick!

No, really, you make me sick. . . :p watching all of that spinning was almost as bad as the roll you made last fall with me in the plane.

Actually, these are great videos. I love watching them. I just know if I were in the cockpit with you though I would be looking for that bag stuffed in the side pocket.

Hope to see you sometime soon. We are not going to be making Osh this year so maybe LOE.

Fun video. On the first one, did you push the stick forward before applying rudder? Looked like it accelerated from the 1-1/2 position to when you stopped after 2-1/4. The RV-3 would really accelerate if I pushed the stick forward during a spin...more so than the Pitts will accelerate. And it would stop instantly like hitting a wall as soon as opposite rudder was applied from this accelerated state. I've done some spins in a -6 with the 7 tail, and they're very smooth and straightforward spinning airplanes. Now work on nailing those exit headings and vertical downlines and you'll be ready for Primary. :D

what do you use to edit the gopro video?
I have a gp2 and use a mac. iMovie doesnt like the format and I always have to import and futz around... my movies suck because of my lack of proper process.

Ok, that was very cool! Almost makes me wish I had decided to build a 7 instead of a 9.... almost! ;-)

take 2 with another perspective...

A really nice day for filming aerobatics... this time with the GoPro wingtip mounted.

This is a fun bit of tossing around starting with a 3-1/2 turn spin... including lots of sweeping aerobatics with a couple of 1-1/2 turn spins and a full reversal spin (these are amazing in the cockpit but no so much from this view)

Don't get DizZy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlCh_p_4K0&feature=youtu.be

I picked up some condensation within the camera housing during filming and will need to get some desiccant inserts to take care of that.

I am filming with the GoPro in 1080P full HiDef at 60fps and the file size is quite large.

The key to quickly editing big files is to avoid ANY re-encoding.

Regarding software. I am using a free mac based program called MPEG Streamclip to cut and trim pieces from the raw data to get a smaller more finished product. For YouTube I am uploading that file and letting the YouTube processors deal with re-encoding and downsampling to the various formats. For my use I take the video file (this one was nearly 2Gb) and running it through Handbrake (a great mac program) to re-encode to a high quality HD standard using the preset for Apple TV3 which brings the file size down to a very manageable 350Mb.

fun spins

Nice videos, and hope you go to the IAC contest, Beaver State, 23-24 August in Pendleton, OR. Even if you don't compete, you'll enjoy the friendly folks and see a free airshow. Competing once was on my bucket list a few years ago, and now I'm addicted.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Alabama

fun

That was awesome. I hope it was as much fun as it looks. Getting aerobatic training is on my list.

Judging from the responses, it seems there are large numbers of those who have never done spins or gotten spin training. That's too bad. Highly recommended training and experience! And don't just do it once and never again. Stay current!

I wonder if anyone without spin or aerobatic trainng would care to comment.
Watching those videos, comparing a spin to the left, or spin to the right, do you find one way more comfortable to watch than the other?
Most people who fly aeros find one way more comfortable than the other, but I am curious if mon aerobatic pilts have a preference, and is it apparent just from a video?
John

Great Video Stephen. Will be a great help for others wanting to see how RV's handle.
I have just started using my Gopro with aerobatics in my RV7, and nervous about mounting it on the wingtip. What mount are you using, and any advice or cautions you may have? I have suction cup and the 3M sticker mounts. So far have only mounted the camera on the shield and only used it 3 times. Will look into the editing software you suggest, as the video quality you show seems much better, and I am only using iMoive

Thanks

Desmond

Use a screw in a sticky mount... no sticky...

I use a regular base but not the sticky back... just drill and countersink as needed for the wingtip or wherever you want to mount it where there is an existing screw ;)

Great Video Stephen. Will be a great help for others wanting to see how RV's handle.
I have just started using my Gopro with aerobatics in my RV7, and nervous about mounting it on the wingtip. What mount are you using, and any advice or cautions you may have? I have suction cup and the 3M sticker mounts. So far have only mounted the camera on the shield and only used it 3 times. Will look into the editing software you suggest, as the video quality you show seems much better, and I am only using iMoive

Thanks

Desmond

Back