What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jointing Compound

Topturn

Getting closer to the start of my build just waiting for the go ahead from the LAA in the UK so working on finishing my workshop and sourcing a few additional tools

I spent the weekend with a friend who's built an RV-7 putting together the Van's toolbox project so have a better idea than I did before about working with aluminium and we discussed the use of jointing compounds like Duralec and JC5a and wonder what the view on such products is?

Jason

Last edited:
Duralac JC5A

Hi,

I've been using JC5A. More expensive that Duralac but doesn't really set, so if you need to pull parts apart there's no problem. You will need several tubes of the stuff. Don't get to a point where you run out and it is holding you up.

JC5A gets everywhere - on your tools, clothes and everything else, so you need to be tidy. I got a huge roll of paper, like you find at petrol stations to mop stuff up. And if you think this is messy, wait till you get to the Proseal on the fuel tank.

But don't let me discourage you, it's nearly all fun ;-)

Cheers...Keith

No need

If you intend to fly at 50' over the ocean then JC-5A or similar may be worthwhile. But I suspect that's not really where you do most of your flying and, although it does rain a lot in Manchester, it really is overkill. It will take you much longer to get everything together and yellow goo will get everywhere. Your painter will also curse you as it will be much more difficult to get a good paint finish.

I would prime all of the parts internally and keep the aeroplane inside. Jointing compound is a lot of extra work that isn't really needed.

Pete

I totally agree with all of the above! That said, I have been dipping the rivets in JC5A as they are bare ali into bare ali.

On the RV-6, we JC5'd all the external faying surfaces (lap joints) and rivets. That one should be good for 200 years...

I decided on the 12 to keep things much simpler and just do the external rivets. Probably over the top and yes Mick Allen will curse me (again) when he comes to paint it!

Duralac is not so good as it sets hard which, if it cracks, will allow moisture to sit where you don't want it....

Back