What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Joint at tank and outer leading edge

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hey folks,

I've just completed my left tank and left outer leading edge. I have them clecoed to the spar and tank screwed to the plate between them and the nose of the tank sticks out about a skin's thickness more than the outer leading edge

photo-5.jpg

Should I try and take care of this now? (not sure what I'll do) or see if it pulls together more when all is riveted together?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

It must be overlapping the wing leading edge. Since everything is matched hole I can't imagine what caused this. Mine are tight in this area but don't overlap. You may have to file the edge of the tank skin to make it slip down beside the leading edge skin. Wish I could be of more help.

This is a very common problem. A search should yield lots of help.

Do you have bolts in the outer-most z-bracket? I had the same problem and when I put those bolts in it pulled the tank down tight.

Nope

Jamie no I don't. I'm leaning towards leavingnit alone until the wing is done.

Thanks,

T.

Tom,

Like Jamie said, common problem. One thing that can sometimes help is loosen all the screws and bolts from tank ( you don't have to remove them completely). Get some pressure on the leading edge and begin tightening the screw from the leading edge to aft. Alternate from top skin and bottom skin in order.

I used a ratchet strap, but don't over tighten it and cause damage.

Good luck.

Tom,

If the ratchet approach doesn't work, I doubled the number of screws in the transition strip to alleviate some of the pillowing. It's not perfect, but better than before. Van's had no issue with the idea. The curve on the leading edge of the 7 and 9 are different, but you get the idea.

Here's a link illustrating what I did and the result: http://websites.expercraft.com/sblair/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=58939

Follow the next three pages from this point to see the end result.

If you take this approach, I would still place pressure on the leading edge and sequentially install srews from fore to aft, alternating top and bottom to take out any "slack".

Tom - Any chance there is proseal on the inside of the tank skin that is causing interference?

Ratchet Strap

I used a ratchet strap as suggested and everything pulled in quite nicely.
Thanks everyone - it looks really nice.

cfe201bd.jpg

Last edited:
Back