What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Joining Center and Aft Sections

PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm at the point of joining the center section and aft together. The plans are pretty specific about not dimpling the aft two rows of holes on the center skin where it joins the F706 BH and F778 aft skin before putting them together.
So last evening I read foward through the plans and can't find a reference to this again. I'm concerned that after they are joined it will be difficult at best to dimple these holes. I'm assuming they suggest not dimpling to make them easier to join.

When is it actually done, or is it okay to do it now?

Thanks for the help.

As with any other two pieces that are mating, aren't the holes undersized? So after you mate the two sections, don't you drill them (together) out to full size, then separate, deburr, and dimple them? Then reassemble and rivet?

As with any other two pieces that are mating, aren't the holes undersized? So after you mate the two sections, don't you drill them (together) out to full size, then separate, deburr, and dimple them? Then reassemble and rivet?

Yep. Bob's right on the money. I completed this a couple months back, and that's just what you do. The aft row of rivets from the center section needs to get drilled into the tail cone skin. After a bunch of prep on the longerons, firewall area and side skins you take it all apart for prep. Then it gets deburred, dimpled, primed, etc. before mating it back up for rivets.

Investigation

Thanks guys, I had a little more time this morning and checked Dan's site a little further and somewhere in that process the lite came on. Sorry for the silly question.

Back