What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jim Cone's Tail kit pictures

any reason why you stopped the fuse and went to the tail? or are you working both at the same time?

any reason why you stopped the fuse and went to the tail? or are you working both at the same time?

The tail kit is supposed to be the first kit that you build. It was planned to be the first kit, but the spin testing was not completed so they sent out the wing and fuselage kits so that builders could start on their projects. You cannot complete the fuselage kit until you have built the tail kit.

Jim, I think you need to set up a web cam in your hanger so I can watch how it's done!

Keep those pics coming.

Last edited:
Rivets

Hi Jim, I am finished with my Wings, Fuse. Rudder, Fin, and Stab, However half way through the stab I ran out of LP4-3 rivets and had to rob some from one of my other RV kits. Did you have the same problem? I'm about to call Van's and see if I have to buy more or if they will send enough to start and finish the Fuse. tail cone. Chuck is Sulphur Springs, Tx. 25 Peat.

Hi Jim, I am finished with my Wings, Fuse. Rudder, Fin, and Stab, However half way through the stab I ran out of LP4-3 rivets and had to rob some from one of my other RV kits. Did you have the same problem? I'm about to call Van's and see if I have to buy more or if they will send enough to start and finish the Fuse. tail cone. Chuck is Sulphur Springs, Tx. 25 Peat.

The first tail kits were short some rivets according to Barb @ Van's. If you have received a tail kit you will be short some rivets, and there are some pieces that have been revised and you'll need to get those coming is you haven't made the modifications already. If you are waiting for your tail kit to ship it will be delayed by about 7-10 days. The crating crew is really backup up this week.

Barb said they had two guys building the tail kit and only counted the rivets the one guy used. Oops! It is nice to hear what happened and that the people at Van's are human also.

I just want to get started! ;)

Last edited:
The fist tail kits were short some rivets according to Barb @ Van's.)

I thought all the blind rivets for the RV-12 come in one big fastener kit you buy with your first kit. Are the rivets in the fastener kit divided into smaller packages for the empennage, wings, fuselage, etc?

Rivets

After talking to the great folks at Van's they say, "We sure thought 10,000 rivets would be enough!" So, they're sending another 2,500 to the earliest builders. Yes,I have built 25 RV's!

my kit had one box that says 10,000 pieces on it, do i have to contact vans or are they just sending them out? Its the only kit i have, it shipped 11/19 i believe, does that make it the first batch? Thanks again, this website is awesome....

my kit had one box that says 10,000 pieces on it, do i have to contact vans or are they just sending them out? Its the only kit i have, it shipped 11/19 i believe, does that make it the first batch? Thanks again, this website is awesome....

Pretty sure they are sending out the extra rivets without calling, but give them a call if you have not received they yet.

Back