What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jim Cone's fuselage pictures 10-14-08

Fuselage construction

I started construction on the fuselage kit and after installing some nutplates and a couple of spacer blocks I started on the first assembly. The center section is a very heavy aluminum channel that you have to drill 72 times. The material is 1/4 inch thick and hard. Be sure that you have a new drill bit and use Boe Lube on the drill bit before drilling each hole. Using Boe Lube on your bit will help clear the chips and lubricate the bit. My bit and drill head got so hot that I couldn't touch it without gloves on. See my pictures of this assembly on another post or go to http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12Construction101408#

I am amazed at how many parts their are in the fuselage from the firewall back to the baggage bulkhead. They are all very well made, but the construction is going to be a lot more complicated than the other RV fuselages, considering the number of parts that need to be assembled. I will be working steadily on the kit from now on and will post pictures as I progress. You are going to love this kit.

Hey Jim,

Good to hear you are still at it....your work is a great help for those who will follow. I am proud to say you are the guy who taught me how to hold a bucking bar some years back.

As you know, I am off in a different direction, engine wise, and will pick up a Lycoming from BPE on Friday. It will be hung within a week...:)

Hi, Jim!

Add my name to the list of folks who learned bucking bar technique from Captain Cone. Jim, I'm still soldiering away on the RV-6A, which is getting to be the longest-running project in all of Chapter 32.

Jim Bower

Back