What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jim Cone photos 10-28-08

Thanks Jim, Keep the pictures coming. Have to wait about 1 month for my fuselage. Your pictures are an inspiration. Along with the pictures, please supply any hints that would help us all.

Construction hint

Thanks Jim, Keep the pictures coming. Have to wait about 1 month for my fuselage. Your pictures are an inspiration. Along with the pictures, please supply any hints that would help us all.

When you install the control column, you have to install two washers on each side of the bearing. That is not easy. It will be easier if you put one washer on the bolt and then put a bit of super glue on the washer and slide another down on to it. After a few seconds, you will have one fat washer and that is much easier to install. I also use a tapered hardware store bolt to help line up things and then push that bolt out with the the final bolt.

Plans Error?

Jim,

I am putting in the snap bushings on the bottom of the F-1204A bulkhead (page 21-14 Figure 3). The plans show that there are 5 snap bushings (a SB500-6, 3 SB437-4's and a SB750-10). The bulkhead has only 4 holes. The SB500-6 is correct. There are only 2 SB437-4's and the last one is a size 8 hole. I called the builder support line today. They suggested making the size 8 hole a 10 and drilling another size 6 hole.

All the others seem correct to me. Have I missed something? Is yours like that as well?

Rich

Jim,

I am putting in the snap bushings on the bottom of the F-1204A bulkhead (page 21-14 Figure 3). The plans show that there are 5 snap bushings (a SB500-6, 3 SB437-4's and a SB750-10). The bulkhead has only 4 holes. The SB500-6 is correct. There are only 2 SB437-4's and the last one is a size 8 hole. I called the builder support line today. They suggested making the size 8 hole a 10 and drilling another size 6 hole.

All the others seem correct to me. Have I missed something? Is yours like that as well?

Rich

If you only have four holes in the bulkhead, you need to drill another for the small -4 snap bushing and drill out the other to a -10. That is what Tom Green told me to do. I'm sure that the later kits will have the correct holes.

Thanks, Jim

I am finally working on my fuselage kit with my wife Carrie. I can't tell you guys how much I enjoy 'learning from those like Jim and Jerry that have 'gone before me' and do such a great job with their 'photo documentation and assembly tips'.
Carrie thinks I'm a pretty smart guy ...she hasn't seen me look at the photos and special circumstances before I have encountered them in person!

Jay Sluiter
Jefferson, OR
RV-12/wings done/fuselage kit in progress/empennage on order
N124CS (reserved)

Back