What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jig for tail parts

Spindrift

Well Known Member
How important is it to build a jig for the HS and VS? There's nothing in the instructions about it, but on some builders' sites I see one being used. Is that left over from an earlier version, or is it just perfectionism? I'm following Ken Scott's "tractor" philosophy, not trying for a show piece, but I want to fly straight.

On a related note, if anyone in the Portland area has a jig, or even just something constructed to hold the skin in place while riveting, that they are now finished with, I'd love to make some room in your garage...

Thanks,
bill
kandbinman at comcast dot net
RV7 (a?) just starting on the tail

no jig needed

on the prepunched rv's no jig is needed. just build and the parts line up with the prepunched skins. I have just finished the empennage and no jigs were used., It may make thing s a bit easier with a jig at times though!

denis giammarco
rv7 empennage-wings ordered

No jigs required!

With N/C punched holes in all the parts, no jigs are needed! Cleco it together out of the box and it will be straight and true. I never found the need for any kind of stand for the tail. When riveting, put a cleco in every third hole, rivet the open holes, then remove the clecos and rivet the rest.

The one place a helper stand will be needed is for the fuel tanks (when you get your wing kit).

only the early models

The early -7 required a jig for the hs & vs since only the skins were prepunched. My preview plans showed the use of a jig for the tail that was later modified for the wing. So I built one. When my kit arrived, No jig! So it was kind of bittersweet.

Back