What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

jig for empenage is really necessary?

henriquerv9

Hi all,

I just wondering if is really necessary a jig for the empenage. I dont see recommendations for a jig in construction manual.

Henrique

Just like the prepunched wings, a jig is not required. However, I have done it both ways and it is MUCH easier with a jig. For the empennage all you really need is the "V" blocks.

"V" blocks?

Mel said:
Just like the prepunched wings, a jig is not required. However, I have done it both ways and it is MUCH easier with a jig. For the empennage all you really need is the "V" blocks.

I just received my empennage kit and was also wondering about this. I'm not sure what "V" blocks are? How are they used? Any photos?

Thanks!
MikeJ

V-Blocks would help with the elevators and rudders maybe, but the HS and VS are easy without any jigs. I am planning on wing stands/jigs though.

MikeJ 7A said:
I just received my empennage kit and was also wondering about this. I'm not sure what "V" blocks are? How are they used? Any photos?

Thanks!
MikeJ
V-blocks...

Left-HS-003w.jpg

7-22-002w.jpg

:)

I used HS ribs to trace the outline of the HS on some plywood. I cut 1/4" outside my traced line and used the extra space for foam weatherstripping. I could have made them a little shorter.

dsc01808do3.jpg

Back