What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jet Flex Solvent Based question

wirejock

Well Known Member
How much can Jet Flex Solvent Based pain be reduced?
I ran a test and it seems kinda thick even at 7:1:4.
Test parts have a textured appearance.
Granted it wasn't a test with my HVLP gun and it's possible the texture is just dust.
I ran an adherence test to see how well it sticks to P60G2 and bare aluminum.
So...
Can it be reduced more than 4 parts?

Another question
How much shaking or stirring is needed. The black looked almost gray when the can was opened. After several minutes shaking, it's closer to black but still not quite. Should I have a paint store shake them?

Last edited:
Gun settings

What kind of gun are you using? Needle/Nozzle size? Pressure? In my experience, it can be difficult sometimes to get the results you want with the low pressures they want you to use with HVLP. The JetFlex is just a bit on the thick side and will shoot better with a larger needle/nozzle and higher pressure. I seem to remember shooting most of mine at 35 psi or so although I have forgotten which gun I used (I have 3 - two Sharpe HVLPs and a Devilbiss compliant). I do remember shooting at the recommended reductions though.

And yes - you do have to stir/shake the bejeebers out of the color if it has sat for some time.

FWIW

Gun

What kind of gun are you using? Needle/Nozzle size? Pressure? In my experience, it can be difficult sometimes to get the results you want with the low pressures they want you to use with HVLP. The JetFlex is just a bit on the thick size and will shoot better with a larger needle/nozzle and higher pressure. I seem to remember shooting most of mine at 35 psi or so although I have forgotten which gun I used (I have 3 - two Sharpe HVLPs and a Devilbiss compliant). I do remember shooting at the recommended reductions though.

And yes - you do have to stir/shake the bejeebers out of the color if it has sat for some time.

FWIW

I haven't used my HVLP. That will be the next test. I have a DeVilbiss FLG3 with 1.3 tip.
I shot a test today just to see how well it sticks to P60G2 and bare aluminum.
This adherence test was shot with a little pistol gun. I had to run pressure much higher than usual.
It was thicker than I expected.
Another two or even four parts reducer would make it flow much better but what would it do to the cure?

Reduction

You should be able to increase the reducer a bit although I don't think I would double it. That in and of itself shouldn't affect the cure. The reducer flashes off fairly quickly. It will tend to make your film thickness less though (shooting technique remaining the same).

I suspect that your issue is the small gun and/or low pressure. If you shoot with the Devilbiss (I think the flg3 is a compliant gun isn't it?) at an appropriate pressure, I think you will get better results.

Bottom line - fudge the reducer up or down just a bit is OK, but if you feel you need any more it is probably equipment/technique. I was able to get what I considered good results with the recommended reductions.

Finish

You should be able to increase the reducer a bit although I don't think I would double it. That in and of itself shouldn't affect the cure. The reducer flashes off fairly quickly. It will tend to make your film thickness less though (shooting technique remaining the same).

I suspect that your issue is the small gun and/or low pressure. If you shoot with the Devilbiss (I think the flg3 is a compliant gun isn't it?) at an appropriate pressure, I think you will get better results.

Bottom line - fudge the reducer up or down just a bit is OK, but if you feel you need any more it is probably equipment/technique. I was able to get what I considered good results with the recommended reductions.

Dan
Was the final result smooth or textured?

Pretty Smooth

Dan
Was the final result smooth or textured?

I would consider the final surface texture pretty smooth. Keep in mind, the paint I was shooting was a semi-gloss (for the interior) rather than glossy. With a semi-gloss if it has just a bit of texture it's not really an issue. But that said - what I shot was actually pretty smooth. I also seem to recall that it "laid down" (got smoother) somewhat after it cured as well.

I'd recommend that you play with it some (with close to the recommended reduction) in a good gun. Increase the pressure and work with the mixture to get the results you want. Keep the fan size down rather than opening it way up. Don't be surprised if it takes 35-45 psi.

Back