What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jeppesen vs Garmin database updates

Dart11

I have been using Jeppesen for my IFR databases for many years, but their prices just keep inching up, making me wish for a more economical solution. It looks like buying the database subscription for my GNS 530W from Garmin would save me about $120.

Any feedback on this or other mechanisms for keeping IFR legal?

I have been using Jeppesen for my IFR databases for many years, but their prices just keep inching up, making me wish for a more economical solution. It looks like buying the database subscription for my GNS 530W from Garmin would save me about $120.

Any feedback on this or other mechanisms for keeping IFR legal?
I went with Garmin for this reason. Their software for updating has also been slightly better than Jepps, at least for me, although they are both pretty bad.

All well worth it compared to the cost of upgrading from my creaking 430W, of course. :rolleyes:

I went with Garmin for this reason. Their software for updating has also been slightly better than Jepps, at least for me, although they are both pretty bad.

All well worth it compared to the cost of upgrading from my creaking 430W, of course. :rolleyes:
Same here. No reason to pay Jepp the extra money. It's the same data. You do need to buy the Garmin card reader though...the Jepp one won't work with the Garmin app. But it's not terribly pricey.

You do need to buy the Garmin card reader though...the Jepp one won't work with the Garmin app. But it's not terribly pricey.
Yes and they are often available on eBay etc. Garmin may even give you one if you tell them you’re switching from Jepp; can’t hurt to ask.

Thank you. I am pretty fed up with Jepp.

I have a hard time understanding their business model, which seems to be: “charge more for the same data and slightly worse software.”
I, too, do not understand Jepp’s business model. Of course originally Jepp was the only option. When Garmin first came out with databases for the 430, Jepp would match their price (but you had to call and ask for it). But they no longer will do that. And the cost difference ($450 vs $300, per year) is not negligible (50% more!). Mine is up for renewal, and I will be switching to Garmin (yes, I’ll need to buy the Garmin data card reader for $90 but the first year’s savings will easily cover that). I’d like to email Jepp and tell them what and why I’m dropping them but their web site (ever since they were acquired by Boeing) is so confusing I don’t know where to find their address.

I, too, do not understand Jepp’s business model. Of course originally Jepp was the only option. When Garmin first came out with databases for the 430, Jepp would match their price (but you had to call and ask for it). But they no longer will do that. And the cost difference ($450 vs $300, per year) is not negligible (50% more!). Mine is up for renewal, and I will be switching to Garmin (yes, I’ll need to buy the Garmin data card reader for $90 but the first year’s savings will easily cover that). I’d like to email Jepp and tell them what and why I’m dropping them but their web site (ever since they were acquired by Boeing) is so confusing I don’t know where to find their address.
Even now, Avidyne has preferred pricing with Jepp that is NOT on the their website or available online. You have to call them and specifically ask for it.

Back