What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jan's magic RV-10 Oil Door

Is it so bad that no one is even commenting on it.:( Or is it because I did not show you guys how I have done it. One part of it is the "hidden hinge" as I like to call it. So now there is no hinge sticking out and on most RV's the paint will at some stage come off the hinge eyes. The second part is simply a piece of hinge, a few brackets riveted in and a safety clip.

It looks as if it will work OK. Another added advantage is that when you land an pull the pin, the door pops open to help relieve the heat build up.

See this video showing the inside as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYu2wkQZV4o

Interesting....

But I still don't understand how you control the release. Do you have a control inside the cockpit? If so how to you attach it as you install the cowl.

Kent

My Question is

where is the release, and it seems like you would have to hold down the oil door while you feed it back in? Therefore it must be somewhere where you can reach it while holding the oil door?

When you say pull a pin when you land it sounds like the release is in the cabin?

Hans

Hidden hinge oil door

Nice Job! Has anyone seen a design for a similar hidden hinge baggage door? I have always thought the Vans design for the hinge, while simple, detracts from the lines of the side skins. I am going to do mine over so I am thinking I might as well try to set up a hidden hinge design. Looking for ideas.:confused:

Try a J hinge, mounted on the inside. There's a good example on the CozyGirrls web site at http://www.cozygirrrl.com/menupage.htm, scroll down to the Berkut STyle forward compartment hinge for an idea.

This is larger for the forward hatch on the nose of a Cozy/Velo but give s the idea of the hinge so it's a little over built for an oil door but you should get the idea.

Bob

Ok -I will try to explain. Remember that I sometimes use English as a weapon and not a language:D

The hinge pin is reached by putting one hand into the LH air intake. Looking at the video you will see that that is where the pin's end is.

So it is not "when you land" but rather after you have landed and do your "walk around". You then move the bent end (handle) of the pin sideways slightly to get it away from the "safety stop" and pull until the door pops open.
The safety stop is just a small piece of alclad bent in a "U" shape and riveted on so that the pin will not slide out (forward) in flight.

When you want to close it, one hand pushes the door close and the other hand pushes the pin in and make sure it is behind the stop again.

Maybe too complicated, but I like the clean look. By the way we are also making the top/bottom cowl pins push in from the inside of the cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting.....

Tony, on the RV10, IIRC the oil door in on the inside of the baffle space.

Jan, I wonder how hot it will be inside the air intake after flight and you want to pop the door open?

Kent

Correct - with the 10 the oil filler is right on top of the engine.
Tonny - thanks for sharing the link of another similar one. I honestly did not copy that one but as I am now busy with my 3rd build ( first one as per plans, second one hidden hinge, third one hidden hinge and pin ) you have time to think a lot and be a bit more creative.

Besides that - RV builders are clever people!!

Kent - I think it will be OK as it is just where the air ramp meets the top surface of the cowl. In my opinion you will obviously feel hot air, but you are not touching the cylinders or anything.

Last edited:
Tony, on the RV10, IIRC the oil door in on the inside of the baffle space.

Jan, I wonder how hot it will be inside the air intake after flight and you want to pop the door open?

Kent

Yes it is in the center of the baffle space and yes...IT'S HOT...not sure how you would reach in through the intakes unless you have some tiny hands and arms that are made of welders glove leather. I've seen cable release that pop the door from the cockpit. FWIW you do need to reinforce the door. It's kinda worrisome watching it puff up in flight. The hidden hinge method tends to contribute to the "puffyness"

Back