What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James Cowling and Plenum for RV-9A

ksouthar

Well Known Member
I am ready to begin fitting a cowling and have been looking at the James Cowling for my RV9A.

Anyone have experience with them and in particular the RV9 version?

Keith Southard
[email protected]

Rv-8

Fitting the Cowlis straight forward, but you will need an extended hub prop. Sam says to use a 4" prop extension, but everyone I talked to did not recommend any type of extension with a CS prop. I'm using a WW151 extended.

The plenum is another story. Calling it a PITA is being kind. One bit of advice, use Van's baffling kit. It will save you time. I was fortunate to benefit from Dave Hamilton's experience on an IO-360A1B. I visited his RV-8 and snapped over 60 digital photos. Even with these reference shots, the fit required a lot of cutting, reglassing and sweat.

I would do the cowl with no question, but the plenum would be copied from a website that uses Van's baffle kit and a fabricated aluminum top.

Thanks,
Robby Knox

Will James has a cowl that might fit without problems ...

Please note that if you are talking about using the cowl for a carbureted engine,

**Will** James now has a cowl that is about the same dimension as the standard Van's cowl but with the circular inlets (3 of them).

James

Hard Knox said:
Fitting the Cowlis straight forward, but you will need an extended hub prop. Sam says to use a 4" prop extension, but everyone I talked to did not recommend any type of extension with a CS prop. I'm using a WW151 extended.

The plenum is another story. Calling it a PITA is being kind. One bit of advice, use Van's baffling kit. It will save you time. I was fortunate to benefit from Dave Hamilton's experience on an IO-360A1B. I visited his RV-8 and snapped over 60 digital photos. Even with these reference shots, the fit required a lot of cutting, reglassing and sweat.

I would do the cowl with no question, but the plenum would be copied from a website that uses Van's baffle kit and a fabricated aluminum top.

Thanks,
Robby Knox

Back