What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking for gear install

boom3

Well Known Member
I need to raise the whole plane (front and back) probably about 18" to install my landing gear. It would be a lot easier if I could jack at the firewall but I'm concerned about to much weight on the tail as my CG is pretty far aft. I plan to do it in 2" steps back then front until I'm high enough. Should I go through the extra trouble of jacking at the spar or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks!

Dsc_2167.jpg

I lifted the whole plane

Landing gear alignment and all of the fairings is very important to avoid reduced performance in the finished airplane. In order to do that you need to be able to put the airplane in proper position and keep it there in a very stable manner. I made two main fuselage support saw horses out of 2"x6" wood and several out of 2"x4" for wings, etc. I padded the top of all of them with permanently installed cheap carpeting. The horses give stable support but that's all. To get the airplane in proper and stable position for all of the rigging tasks I bought a 4'x8' sheet of high quality 3/4" plywood for a base for supporting the fuselage support sawhorses. I bought 4 car jacks from an auto parts store and put one under the plywood near each corner. I bought a 4' level and a small level and placed them on the canopy sills and alternately/gradulally jacked up the fuselage to get the height a level alignment I needed for what ever job I was doing and as I went I placed 4"x4", 2"x4" boards and thinner shims under the plywood for the primary support and safety (the jacks are only for the lift - they are not the sole support of the work platform). I had to make these lifts many times during the build of my RV-6A. I also put 4 caster furniture moving platforms under the plywood base several times in order to move the fuselage.

Bob Axsom

We just did this........

......with a cherry picker and a canvas strap around the motor mount and lifted the airplane while the tail rested on a padded sawhorse....but our wings weren't on.

Regards,

Thats how I did it

You can lift it at the engine mount no problem wings on with the engine on even..No problem.

I used the roof struts and a come along but as you have a finished ceiling then Pierre's engine crane idea is a good one.

Frank

Sound great! Thanks guys.

I do intend to keep a beafy sawhorse the width of the fuse under the spar and plan to get it high enough so the gears hang without the tires touching. The rear saw horse will also remain, it'll just be taller.

Just make sure the sawhorse are plenty strong

I had put mine on two saw horse and installed the gear legs. I had just finished installing the last wheel when I start hearing a funny noise. Turned around to see what it was, the front saw horse collapsed and it just landed on its wheels. Likely it was only an inch or two above ground at that point. My heart was in my left shoe. I guess that happens when you have spent so much time and $$$

Mehrdad

Well it's up and all is well. The tires are just off the ground and I have started working on the wheel pants.

I must say the jacking was a little nerve racking though. Floor jacks, bottle jacks, and jackstands are great but they're definately designed for cars. It's surprising how high you really have to go to get the gear legs installed. It probably would have been easier without the wings but I just took my time and always kept the plane resting on at least 3 points so it was stable and wouldn't tip or slide.

For those who haven't done it, take your time and be careful!

P1010288.jpg

Back