What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

jacking aircraft

67pileit

What is the best/easiest system to use to jack an RV 6 to change a tire? At the axle or under wing?

Last edited:
I have used the axle jack that Avery sells. I think it is called the El dorado, works very well for changing tires.

Several threads on this in the archives. Wing jacks work well for me, and I have a modified version of the hydraulic jack that was described in one of the threads in the past couple years.

greg

Several threads on this in the archives. Wing jacks work well for me, and I have a modified version of the hydraulic jack that was described in one of the threads in the past couple years.

Same here, I believe. My jacks are from Harbor Freight Tools, and then mounted to plywood with conduit supports. Some pics of the same type should be in the threads. Bolts with an edge ground to a bevel are screwed into the tiedown threads.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Engine Hoist

I've used an engine hoist with a strap around one of the upper engine mount tubes on the side of the aircraft that I want to raise. Works well and leaves the wheel and axle completely accessible. Good for the shop/hangar where you have access to a hoist. Not so good in the field.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

YEP!

I've used an engine hoist with a strap around one of the upper engine mount tubes on the side of the aircraft that I want to raise. Works well and leaves the wheel and axle completely accessible. Good for the shop/hangar where you have access to a hoist. Not so good in the field.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6
Been using this method for MANY years. Except that I use the cross tube between the upper engine mounts and raise both wheels at the same time.

Pierre,

That's an RV-3 gear leg. They don't come with powder coat. Look closely at the photo and you'll see clear tape protecting the gear leg. And the gear fairing only needs to be long enough to be covered by the pant fairing.

Tony

Back