What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jack Stand

bsacks05

Well Known Member
I am preparing to weigh my RV9 and want to know what kind of stand to put under the tailwheel to level the aircraft. The scales have 16" pads and the height of the stand needs to be adjustable between approx. 20-40 inches. Any suggestions? The automotive stands I looked at are either too low or too high. I could rig something up if necessary.

Thanks,

I got a relatively huge set of jack stands at Harbor Freight, but the granularity of height adjustment is something like 2" increments.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

They were on sale when I got them, so I didn't pay anywhere near the price listed on the site. I suppose you could still get the plane level by shimming the scales, to get around the low granularity of height setting on the jack stands.

Thanks Dave,

I just located something at Northern Tools called a farm jack which looks alot, and works the same as those bumper jacks they used to give you when you bought a car. Its range is from 4" to 47". I will need to secure the tailwheel somehow and put supports under the plane for safety, but looks like what I need.

My Home Depot sells an adjustable roll-off stand (to support long stock when using a table saw). It's infinitely adjustable. Just take the roller off and it works fine. Cheap too. :D

Back